1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by PopArt, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PopArt

PopArt Thread Starter

Hi
    Went to start my computer this a.m. and it would not boot.
    Got the following error message:
    While initializing device IOS:
    Error: An IO subsystem driver failed to load
    Either a file in the .\subsys subdirectory is corrupt, or the system is low on memory.

I am running Windows Me on this computer and am not sure how to start troubleshooting this one. Would appreciate some expert advice.
    I am considering trying to run system restore--seems to me I have somewhere seen that there is a way of doing it when a comp. won't boot---is it possible that this could be a hardware problem??? Such as memory?? I am used to the beeping routine if ram is bad and so far there have not been any beeps.
    Art

PS Just saw the other thread on the same subject. Sorry for not looking first. I plan to try the "restore"

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occurring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Get, install, update and run free Ad-aware (and its HexDump plug-in) from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now and download the latest referencefiles.

Make sure the following settings are made and on -------ON=GREEN

From main window :Click Start then Activate in-depth scan (recommended)

Click Use Custom Scanning Options' then click Customize' and have these options selected: Under Drives and Folders put a check by Scan Within Archives and below that under Memory and Registry put a check by all the options there.

Now click on the Tweak button in that same window. Under Scanning engine select: Unload recognized processes during scanning and under Cleaning Engine select: Let windows remove files in use at next reboot

Click proceed to save your settings.

Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)

Restart your computer.

Go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com or http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm and click the Scan Now link to run a free on-line virus scan.

4. PopArt

PopArt Thread Starter

Thanks Guys
    I am at work and just seeing your replies. This will update you as to what I was able to do last night and this a.m. before leaving for work.
    Booted using WMe boot disk
    Tried procedure in thread a few ahead of mine for starting restore from a command prompt. Got into edit system ini and changed to shell=progman.exe got error on trying to save saying it could not find path to system ini
    Shut down and rebooted---got booted into Safe Mode--ran scandisk. Shutdown and rebooted--it booted normally.
    Restored using normal procedure to a previous point (before doing last WindowsUpdate and installing DirectX9--had been running DirectX8.1
    Did Scandisk(thorough with surface scan) of o/s area of drives (running a striped raid of two WD drives). This showed no problems.
    Did scandisk of data area--scanned ok--surface scanned to about 25% by the time I had to get some sleep so left it running. Woke up a few hours later and comp was locked up. On restart got the original error msg again. Rebooted again and got into safe mode. Shutdown, rebooted normally.
    When I try to do anything it will not process very long before I hear some clicking from the HD area. Eventually it will complete the task (if it is simple/undemanding---e.g. started OE and sent one e-mail then it locked).
    I will try what Styxx suggest tonight---not sure that it can make it through an install process but will try.
    Thanks
    Art

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

the clicking from the hard drive area may be a symptom of a hard drive going bad and would account for the constant locking up.

Backup all your Sensitive Data (Internet Explorer Favorites; Netscape Bookmarks, Address Book and Netscape Mail Folders; Outlook Express Address Books and Folders (compress any Netscape Mail or Outlook Express folders first) letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later. Do it immediately if not sooner.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Download drive diagnostics software from manufacturer's website.

7. PopArt

PopArt Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys. Think I have the answer to this. I'll post again after running some checks tonight.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice