1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Wont Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ANNWILLI, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ANNWILLI

ANNWILLI Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with a computer I built about a year ago..

When I turn it on it stops before getting any video sometimes it makes it as far as the OS and then shuts down..
    when i get short beep I know the computer will work ok but lately when i turn it on i dont get a short beep and i have to hold in the front panel power button for a few seconds to turn it off...
    today i bought a new power supply thinking that would help..the first start the computer beeped i thought it would be ok this time but it didnt even make it to display any video..
    i have a pci diagnostic card i used and the code it stops on is 24. i have AMIBIOS the manual says that code 24 is "SETUP REQUIRED BEFORE VECTOR INITIALIZATION COMPLETE. INTERRUPT VECTOR INITIALIZATION ABOUT TO BEGIN" ..thats as far as the boot process goes...

this is a celeron 2 gig processor with 512 mb ram..

i have reseated all connectors, memory modules, replaced power supply etc
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

2. dai

dai

with an atx m/b you hold the button in for 6secs to turn is normal
    try resetting the cmos
    replace the battery

3. ANNWILLI

ANNWILLI Thread Starter

i don't know what you mean "its normal" i never had to do it before ..
    i have reset the cmos... i will next try a new battery i quess..
    thanks

4. dai

dai

it is a setting in the bios,you can set it to instant off or to the 6sec delay
    with the 6 sec delay if you press the button the same as instant off it sends it into standby mode
    most use the 6sec delay so it is thought of as normal

5. ANNWILLI

ANNWILLI Thread Starter

ok i understand you..but i never had to hold the button in before.. its only been when the computer doesnt do a complete post..when i can get it into the bios (amibios) i will check to see if i have that option...
    i dont think i told you that i have replaced the power supply with a new one. this one stays on but computer wont complete post all the time.. sometimes i get to windows 2000 pro and then everything goes black after a short time... no warning or error messages then i have to turn off the computer from the back switch..

6. dai

dai

have you reset the cmos

7. ANNWILLI

ANNWILLI Thread Starter

yes i have reset the cmos a few times... today i put in a new battery and still nothing.. cant even get into the bios..
    after a week of working on this i decided to buy a new bare bones system since in the past week i bought everything else new so that i could trouble shoot this system.. i dont want to give up on it but i think ive tried just about everything..
    is this where i should assume that the mother board or processor is bad? should i save them? how will i ever know which? should i just throw the whole thing out?

8. brite750

brite750

This is always a tough problem, you have replaced your psu?, battery?, what else?
    other things could be ram, cpu, mobo, video card, sound card, etc.
    did you test your ram w/ memtest or similar, if two sticks try one then the other
    try different video if you have a spare
    try running w/o any cards except video
    unplug all your drives, except hdd and try to boot
    try booting with mobo removed from case to eliminate shorting problem
    sorry we dont have your hardware setup so just guessing

9. ANNWILLI

ANNWILLI Thread Starter

yes i have done everything you listed except test the memory with "memtest" i assume this is something i need the internet for right? because since i cant turn the computer on i wont be able to that... when the memory is out of the socket the computer beeps 3 times so i quess that is a normal sign when memory is in it shows up on the monitor when i'm able to boot that far.. lately though it hasnt gone that far into post.. is it wise to test the memory on another computer?

10. dai

dai

you d/l memtest save it to floppy,take it to your comp. and boot from it

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice