Computer won't boot!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kgash

I have a 2 year old S2482 eMachine that suddenly wouldn't turn on at all. After checking all of the connections, I determined that it was probably the power supply. Installed a new PS and now when I push the switch, the fans spin, the LED on the mobo lights, the CD drive door opens and closes correctly, but the HD stops activity after initial spin-up and there is no signal to the monitor and there are no beeps or any other activity. I now think that something happened to the CPU when the PSU died. Is that possible and is there any way that I can check to see if the CPU is blown?

Disconnect everything but the PSU, mother board, CPU, video card, and ram. Do you get your normal post beep or still nothing?

Just from what you said I would guess your motherboard is toast since it's not beeping at all. Hell, just rip out the memory and try and boot, if it doesn't give you the memory error beeps it probably is the board. When my PSU went it took my board with it like that :(

nothin shuts off? no post errors like Hard Drive...

... never had a mobo or cpu go one me have 10 comps and worked on many :p

Hdd would make sence figuring a power surge killing the Hard drive and Power supply... hmmm somthing to think ...

Does it give a= No HArd drive detected

kgash

msgtgumby said:
Disconnect everything but the PSU, mother board, CPU, video card, and ram. Do you get your normal post beep or still nothing?

Just from what you said I would guess your motherboard is toast since it's not beeping at all. Hell, just rip out the memory and try and boot, if it doesn't give you the memory error beeps it probably is the board. When my PSU went it took my board with it like that :(
I don't think this machine has an internal speaker and I cannot find proper connector on mobo to connect one so I guess I don't get any POST beep signals even if everything is working correctly. I did notice that the blue LED that indicated the computer is turned on stays lit after I turn off the computer from the front panel switch. As long as it is plugged in, the LED is on.

Doh...the beeps make it easy, oh well. Do you have another computer you can test the hard drive, ram, and video card in? Or do you have a spare hard drive, video card or ram? Pretty much you're going to have to test the pieces somehow, either by swapping in different ones or swapping yours into another machine. The PSU killed something when it went bad, the pain in the *** process of elimination is how you have to find it without the beeps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online