1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Weems, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Weems

Weems Thread Starter

I have a custom built PC with a AMD Athlon 2900+ and a A-BIT KV-7V Motherboard. My friend and I took out my plastic standoffs and replaced them with screws because some of the plastic standoffs had come undone. After we plugged everything in, the computer would not turn on. The ethernet light turns on, but the pc will not turn on. Any ideas as to what is going on?

2. happyrck

happyrck

yep ...you shorted out the motherboard

3. tamilynn63

tamilynn63

found this:
    Inspect the screws you will use to tighten the board down. If the head of the screws are too wide, and you think they might contact any circuitry on the motherboard, place a plastic washer over each hole. I’ve had some ATX boards refuse to start up later because they were grounded somewhere to the case, probably by a screw.
    http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/step/9/

did search and you might try here if that is not helpful above.
    http://www.google.com/search?svnum=...stic standoffs in pc?&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=iw

4. Weems

Weems Thread Starter

Actually now, the pc will boot, we removed the screws and put in screws with washers. But now, when I boot the bios screen that you see when the computer boots up says AMD XP 990mhz when my processor is 2000mhz. And when I press delete to enter the bios nothing happens.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Clear the bios, using the jumper, or removing the battery for awhile, then try again.

6. happyrck

happyrck

7. Weems

Weems Thread Starter

My friend had a spare Socket A motherboaand rd, so we attatched it to the metal standoffs put it inside the case. After we had all the essentials attatched, (atx main power to the motherboard.,etc) We plugged in my Radeon 9550 video card and turned it on. The computer booted fine, then we saw the Windows XP boot screen... it showed for a few seconds and then reboots...

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

And you didn't do a fresh install of XP? Well you have to as this is different hardware.

9. Weems

Weems Thread Starter

I took the harddrive to another pc and hooked it in as master, and installed XP Pro SP2 on it. If I installed it on a different computer than the one I am wanting to use it on then will the drivers be messed up?

10. Moegopher

Moegopher

Sounds like a problem my computer used to have. It just kept doing different stuff. I just transferred the contents of my C:/ Drive and got a new hard drive and it workd fine. Though I know hard drives aren't that cheap, it may be the problem.

11. replay

replay

12. happyrck

happyrck

yep..you will have to install windows on the computer you are going to use it on..then install the drivers that came with the motherboard..then the video drivers if you have a video card..then the sound drivers if you have a sound card..you get the idea..you will have to install drivers for any addons that didnt come with the mobo

13. Weems

Weems Thread Starter

I got it fixed the drive I had windows originally on, died... so i reinstalled windows and it has been working fine for me so far. Wish me luck with this. :p

14. Moegopher

Moegopher

Good luck!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice