1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by almondjoy87, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almondjoy87

almondjoy87 Thread Starter

Ok, I am having a problem with my Gateways notebook. I was using it a few days ago to edit some pictures when it froze and brought up the "blue screen of death", the screen that sad an error has occurred. However, I really don't know what the screen said because it the words were scrambled...well they weren't scrambled...it looked like the page had opened itself mulitple times and there were just a bunch of lines. I let it sit for a minute before I touched it again, I tried to use ctrl + alt + delete...but nothing happened. SO I had to hold the power button down. When I tried to turn it on again it came up in safe mode. Regardless of which option I chose, the computer would not boot up. It would shut itself off again. Today I tried to bring it up again and it got started to boot then it got to the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\agpCPQ.sys and it stopped. What do I do?? Can I fix this without having to do a total system reboot and lose all of my files?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Many people with this error have found that a BIOS update solves the problem. But that still doesn't explain what caused it. Try setting BIOS to defaults.

If you have a bootable XP CD, boot up from the CD and run chkdsk /r on the drive. See if any bad sectors are reported.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!