1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't connect to wifi. Other devices will connect.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bubbakill, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbakill

Bubbakill Thread Starter

My laptop, phone, tablet all are able to connect and use the wifi I have set up, but my computer cant use the wifi.

It's a Windows 8.1, 64 bit, 4 years old. I've had it connected to the wifi during all of this time but today after turning it on it stopped working.

When I try to connect to the Wifi it says "Unidentified Network." In the Network Connections screen and in the pop up side tab in Networks on the wifi connection it says "limited."

Any ideas on anything that could fix it?
    Thanks

Some pictures I took that might help a bit: https://imgur.com/a/MCO72

Also I tried to connect to it using Ethernet cord but it also says "Unisentified Network"

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Reset the network connection and forget the SSID.

You may need to uninstall/reinstall the network drivers to accomplish this.

3. JohnBrook

JohnBrook

You may also want to try checking a series of things:
    -You're running latest drivers for your wifi card.
    -Disable and Re-enable the wifi card, if this doesn't fix go as far as reinstalling the whole drivers from the manufacturer website.
    -Check that your wifi card can speak the same 802.11 standard which you have set on your router.
    -Check that the "Allow this computer to turn off this device" isn't checked

Alternatively you could try a netsh winsock reset (you will have to reboot after this command).

If you have tried all of this and you still didn't solve, run the diagnose tool and report here what it says.

Does the same wifi card/adapter work fine on another host?

P.s. At the end of this whole I'd go as far as try a reset of your router.

From the pictures looks like you got an Apipa. Check if your TCP/IPv4 stack has the check on "Obtain an IP address automatically"

Last edited: May 26, 2017
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice