1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't connect wirelessly

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Beccacook4, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beccacook4

Beccacook4 Thread Starter

My husband recently bought an acer laptop with Windows 8 installed on it. He is constantly having problems with it connecting wirelessly. Right now it shows a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the center on top of where we would go to view network connections. When I run the trouble shooting program it doesn't find any problems. When I click on the icon to view networks it doesn't do anything. Clicking on connect to the internet also does nothing. Suggestions??

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Welcome to tech Support Guy
    Whenever you purchase a new computer, you should always check that the latest drivers are installed.
    Go to the Acer site, either connecting hardwired to your modem router and update drivers especially the wireless or download on another computer to a flash pen and then install on the Acer.

Also check for any firmware updates for the router, as frequently this is required on 8

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    As Macboatmaster suggests. My first course of action would be to remove the Ethernet connection from the router and try it directly in the Laptop. If this works, then you have narrowed the problem to the router or the wireless card.
    But, if the trouble shooter is not finding a fault, then it does seem that your husband has a connection to the router, but the problem seems to be between the router and your ISP modem.
    Has your husband ever had a connection (" He is constantly having problems with it connecting wirelessly")?
    This may seem a little naïve, and doesn't fit the symptoms 100%, but, on the front of most Acer laptops, there is an internet connection button. It is in a badly thought out position, and is easily pressed accidentally. I presume you have, in fact, pressed this button to make your initial connection?

4. turbo24

turbo24

Just a thought, but what is your wireless security protocol that router is using? Is it still WEP security or are you using more secure protocol?
    I ask because we discovered recently that window 8 does not like WEP security. It will constantly disconnect, reconnect etc.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I think it MAYBE a non reply from Beccacook4 - 20 June

6. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    No prob. She came in (first post) looking for an answer and, maybe?, got it.

7. Kate355

Kate355

Hope it's ok to jump into this thread but this is exactly what my Samsung Core i7 laptoptop is doing on windows 8. What do you do if it's using WEP security?

8. Kate355

Kate355

Just found it's on WPA-personal, so no solution as yet. Will keep reading thread lol

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice