1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't enter standby mode.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ugadawgs311, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ugadawgs311

ugadawgs311 Thread Starter

For some reason my computer won't enter standby mode on its own. Most of the time it won't start a screen saver either. I have it programmed to start the screen saver after 3 minutes and to enter standby mode after 15 minutes. However, I'll come back an hour later only to find that the battery has been completely drained. Anyone know why my computer won't enter standby mode or start its screen saver?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The most common reason is that some background process is still running.

It could be a legitimate process, or the result of an infection.

Is it running XP? If so try Task Manager to see what processes are running.

Basically, if the CPU is busy doing something it is not going to allow standby.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do you have ZoneAlarm installed?

4. ugadawgs311

ugadawgs311 Thread Starter

Well I'll be honest, I don't know what 95% of my processes are. So I would have no idea which processes are running that don't need to be by looking at the task manager. And no, I don't have ZoneAlarm.

5. mark082

mark082

I have recently bought two brand new HP Pavilion desktops. Both of them are having this exact problem. The screensaver has never come on for either of the computers from day one. In addition, the power settings are not working. I'm sure there can be no infection on the computer because they had this problem before I ever connected to the internet. I spent a couple hours on the phone with HP tech support and tried uninstalling th ACPI Fixed Feature button. They had me disable all of my startup programs in msconfig and then uninstall the ACPI Fixed Feature button. After rebooting, this didn't help. Then they had me check the settings of my network adapter. There was some setting about power management in that, but it didn't help either. I can't believe that two brand new PC's have this problem and no one has a solution. I'm going to call HP again today and see if they've come up with anything new. If they fix it, I'll keep you posted.

Mark

6. mark082

mark082

Oh yeah, one of the systems has Windows XP and one of them has Vista. They're both experiencing the same problem.

7. mark082

mark082

I just found another thread on this site that I think is my problem. It might be yours too. Several people said that they had a microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard and that when they unplugged them, the screensaver and power settings worked. I have a Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard on both of these systems. I'm hoping that by installing the newest versions of intellipoint and intellitype will help, but I'll have to see. I'll keep you posted.

8. knwpsk

knwpsk

Have brand new HP Pavilion D4790Y with Vista Home Premium

I'm having several of the same problems noted in this thread:
    1. Screensaver/power save don't come on
    2. Machine won't shut down smoothly, hangs on "shutting down" screen with the little rotating circle

and also:
    3. When downloading files with MS Internet Explorer, I see the "file download" dialog that's supposed to show % download progress. It freezes up at 0%, and won't go away, can't be closed (but the file does download!)

I called HP support. First time, they had me uninstall "ACPI Fixed Feature Button" from device manager. Problems 2 and 3 went away. (The HP guy told me to call the Microsoft pay-for-help line to solve the MSIE thing, but lucky me, turned out #3 seems to be related to #2, so I didn't call MS)

A couple of days later, problems 2 and 3 came back. I called HP again. This time the guy wants me to reinstall Windows. Ugh! I told him no thanks. He didn't have any documentation that he could/would show me regarding my issues, but said he had seen them before and this would help. I'm skeptical. Any suggestions?

On #1 -- I agree with previous post, I suspect it's not going to screen/power save because of the HP optical mouse. Also notice two things about the mouse supporting this theory:
    a. the cursor frequently "jumps" even whem my mouse motion is smooth
    b. sometimes when I let go of the mouse, the cursor continues to creep slowly
    I think it might be the mousepad I'm using is too reflective for optical mouse. Am currently trying out an older mousepad that's been roughed up some, and it seems better.

9. mark082

mark082

It turns out that there's an optional update that you have to install through windows update. It's called HID Non-User Input Data Filter. This took care of the problem for me. Hope it helps you.

10. knwpsk

knwpsk

>>> mark082 It turns out that there's an optional update that you have to install through windows update. It's called HID Non-User Input Data Filter. This took care of the problem for me. Hope it helps you. <<<

This addresses the screen/power saver issues, but not the rest of the issues named in my (and previous) posts. Right?

Thanks for the info, Mark

11. mark082

mark082

Yes, that only addresses the power issues/screensaver. Good luck with the rest, I really don't know.

12. castro

castro

Hi. I am having the same problem with my new microsoft mouse.
    Unfortunately, I cannot find where to download the fix.
    I go to the windows download site and search "HID Non-User Input Data Filter" but it is not found.
    Can anybody help please.

13. mark082

mark082

You can't download it from any website. You actually have to use the Windows Update module. This particular update, however, is optional so your computer won't do it automatically. You have to go into windows update and look for the optional updates. That's where you will find the option to install it.

14. castro

castro

Thanks.
    Fix worked well.

15. SFC

SFC

I recently upgraded to a wireless Microsoft multimedia keyboard 1.1 & optical mouse 2000. Now I experience everything listed here. Every time I boot the computer I get the HID Non-User Input Data thing. I have followed instructions to go to Microsoft update, hardware optional category and the fix is not listed. I have researched using several different methods and names and come up "blank".

I see that most of the threads here are over a year old. So I'm a little slower on upgrading than most.

So can someone steer me in the right direction here. I uninstalled all the software for the keyboard & mouse and the problem was gone. Even went to device manager to see those original files were gone too. Re-installed the software and have the same problem on re-boot.

So whats the answer for this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535243