1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't even power on...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nadroeg, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadroeg

nadroeg Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I'm currently studying for my A+ cert, and I am...or was....using an old HP Pavilion 6630 w/ Win98 SE as my test computer. Well, the computer was in the attic for about 4 months because my parents thought it was broken. I got it down, and saw that the switch on the PSU was somehow switched off :rolleyes:. Problem solved...for a while. So anyway it boots right up, no problems so far. I delete some uneeded junk, run a quick scan with Ad-Aware, and then boot back up in DOS mode to "play around" with the different commands that the book (A+ In Depth) is going over. I forgot now exactly what I did, but I got the error:

"Not ready reading drive A
    Abort, Retry, Fail?"

I chose fail.....computer shuts off. I assume that's what "Fail" is supposed to do. I didn't bother to turn it back on. I just continued reading for about another hour. Well the whole time I'm reading I get an occasional whiff of something like burning plastic :eek:. For some reason I just kept thinking it was nothing and was probably something cooking in the kitchen....lol. I was really engrossed in the book.

So to get to the point, the next day I get ready for another day of studying, go to turn the PC on....and nothing. No power light, no fans running, no disks reading. Yes...it's plugged in. :p Same problem as before, but not such an easy fix this time. Tried the switch on the PSU first, obviously, cause that's what worked the first time. Nope. So now I'm thinking about that burning plastic I smelled the previous night. And I also think about how I noticed the fan on the PSU was no longer working the day before when I took it apart. And now I'm thinking I cooked the mobo or processor or both. The CPU fan was still working, but the PSU one wasn't (it's one of those PSU's with the side-mount fan, not on the back of the case). Stupid me, blew it off because of impatience/enthusiasm and let the computer run w/ no fan.

Here's the question. When a computer won't power on at all, there's really only two things that could be wrong, right? Power supply or motherboard? How should go about finding out what went bad? And if it is in fact the motherboard..would it even be worth it to replace it? Or should I just go down to the pawn shop and get something cheap that still works?

Guess this is my first real test. :eek:

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

You fried something for sure. The power supply can be tested with a volt/ohm meter but it's not worth fixing because it will only fit an old style MB because of the connections - you can salvage the HD, CD rom and floppy which will work on a new MB but you will need a new PS, memory and CPU for the new MB - which may, or may not , go in the old case. If the case is a tower and takes an ATX MB then you can upgrade it.
    You can buy a good second hand computer these days cheap.
    Or build one.

3. nadroeg

nadroeg Thread Starter

Thanks (y). I figured that's what happened. Lesson learned. Don't let enthusiasm get in the way of common sense. I'm gonna hit up some pawn shops this week and see what I can find. I just need something cheap that works and that I won't be worried about slightly messing something up. It would probably cost just as much to do that, than replace the MB, CPU, and RAM in that one. Less work too. It's a cramped mid tower that's hard to work with inside.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!