1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't find hard-drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scroogle, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scroogle

scroogle Thread Starter

Hi, I recently bought a SATA HD for my computer, but am unable to get the computer to recognise it.

All the SATA drivers must be installed because my other drive that I've been using for a year or so is fully functional. The cables are all working as both the power and the connector cable power run the other drive fine.

Whenever the drive is plugged in it has never displayed itself in BIOS, and the computer refuses to start when both drives are plugged in.

I should also note that currently my "SATA Mode" is set to IDE as apposed to RAID in my BIOS and both IDE ports are switched off and DMA is working correctly.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. bigbear

bigbear

Does the drive have any jumpers on it?
    Some sata drives have a jumper to change the data transfer rates from 150mbps to 300mbps.
    If your mobo does not support 300mbps then bios wont recognise it.

3. scroogle

scroogle Thread Starter

No there are no jumpers on the drive.

I should mention I have a AMD mobo with a K8T800 chipset, and the HD currently working is 80gb and the other is 160gb.

4. bigbear

bigbear

Ok well you really need to establish why bios does not recognize it.
    Are you sure it is hooked up correctly?
    Boot drive is 0, second drive is 1 there are little numbers next to the mobo sata connector
    Does the first drive show in bios?
    Older boards never showed sata drives in bios, the drivers were installed in the chipset bios .
    Can you post your pc specs, make and model of mobo etc

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does the drive show up in disk management? To get to DM, start>run type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter.

Is this a new drive ie out of the box or was it used before?

6. scroogle

scroogle Thread Starter

Ok, I tried switching around SATA 0 to 1 and I get the same thing, the first drive, the one with Windows on it works fine and the computer does not recognise the other drive in Disk Management nor in the BIOS.

Power is working correctly however as the drive is getting hot.

I have a GigaByte K8 Triton GA-K8VT800 motherboard and an AMD 64 3000+ cpu.

Is it possible the drive is simply broken before I even purchased it? I cannot test on another computer either as my ohter computer doesn't incorporate SATA.

Is there anything else I should try?

7. bigbear

bigbear

If bios does not recognize the drive it is possible there is a problem with the drive.
    I would RMA it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice