1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer won't load windows...:(

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by little teek, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. little teek

little teek Thread Starter

my computer was being a bit sluggish, so i restarted it and when i did, i got the whole 'windows did not finish loading on its last try, if you would like to start it in safe mode...' and i chose normal, and it STILL refuses to load. so i chose safe mode, and i get a blue screen saying 'windows protection error. system cannot load. you need to restart your computer'

i am using windows me. and no matter what i do, i can't get it to finish loading. what do i need to do? please help....

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You have a couple of options regarding restoration of past states. One is to restore a previous registry. The other is to do a system restore.

To restore a previous registry, use your WinME startup disk to boot to a command prompt. Remove the startup disk. At the a:\>prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

if scanreg does not run, enter each line:

cd c:\windows\command
    scanreg /restore

Use your arrow keys to select a prior started registry.

To use the System Restore utility requires a bit more manipulation. See this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q279736

Also see

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;q273738

3. little teek

What if I don't have a start up disk? Is there a way I can get one via the internet?

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

5. little teek

so what do i do, download a boot disk and copy it to a floppy? it is not for this computer. and what do i do when i put the disk in? just type that stuff and see if it works?

bleh, i'm not too computer smart :)

6. little teek

ok, so i put the disk in and it tells me that i have a 'non system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready'

..and i CANT start in safe mode. :( i just get a blue screen with a 'window protection error' saying 'system halted' when i try, and trying anything else brings me back to the black screen...

7. little teek

HELP M EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Perhaps you have not created a boot disk properly. You must start with a clean formatted floppy. Once you have downloaded the installation file to the hard drive, don't "copy" it to the floppy, double click it to run and follow the prompts. It should install its files to the floppy which you can then use as a startup disk.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice