1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer won't load

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JamesPope, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesPope

JamesPope Thread Starter

I'm a complete computer novice so if you are able to understand my vague problem, well done! My computer stopped working for absolutely no reason I can tell, and I haven't been bothered to fix it for about a year. Windows Milennium does load up and runs the scan error program due to improper shutdown (ie cutting the power). Once that's done there's ... nothing. Just the desktop picture in 16-colour mode but no programs. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del shows that are no programs to 'End Task' on. Reading other threads has suggested to me to run scanreg /restore in MS-DOS, but I don't know how to load DOS. I think that DOS isn't even on my computer if that's possible. Starting with the F8 menu doesn't give an option to run it and Windows won't load in safe mode either. Please somebody help, I must get around to fix this problem!

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

Windows Me comes with a system restore utility, but in your case it may no longer work for you because I don't believe you can restore the computer to a date of approximately a year ago. The only thing I can think of, is for you to format your hard drive and reinstall Windows Me. If you don't want to format your hard drive, there's a good chance that "upgrading" (reinstalling Windows Me without formatting) on top of your current operating system may repair your computer.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Try using System Restore anyway:

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occurring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem.

Your computer might be virus infected or hacked:

scan on-line at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice