1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer wont pick up hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boogey, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boogey

boogey Thread Starter

any body know why a computer wont pick up my new hard drive?...it is a p2 350 mhz processor...old 20 gb drive died..it was a maxtor ata 133 hdd..the one i got for it now is a western digital 80 gb ide !keeps saying on boot up detecting primary master but it doesnt..tried all jumper settings is there something im not doing?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you are installing this on the primary IDE cable and the cable is an 80-wire then the drive positioning is more important than a 40-wire.

The three connectors are as follows:

The connector farthest from the middle connector goes to the connector on the mother board

the middle connector is the one for the slave drive

the connector at the other end that is closest to the center connector is for the master drive

Since 80-wire IDE cables are wired specially the above is the only way that the drives will work properly and there is not diddly anyone can do about it.

As for the jumpers on the back of the hard drives this is another matter sometimes they do not work as they should since drives of different manufacturers have slight problems using these together when set supposedly in a proper way, the solution is to guess which way and this is tough I would suggest making a diagram and sritting the pins locations down when the shorting jumpers are applied.

It one took me three hours to figure the way the jumpers went but when the post booting sees the drives you should be set.

3. boogey

boogey Thread Starter

i had the cables hooked up as you said but still wont recognize the drive!is there a place in cmos or the bios to go to ? thanx again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!