1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer won't play new Dvd movies

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by larryecook, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryecook

larryecook Thread Starter

My computer will no longer recognize my newer DVD movies. When I put the DVD in the disc drive it spins for awhile then stops. The computer says there no disc in the drive. It still read cds fine. The strange thing is works fine with older dvds. I'm thinking its because of the encryption on the new dvds. How can I fix this?

2. larryecook

I put it in my Imac and it spun for awhile then spit it out it did not mount.

3. larryecook

It worked on PS3. It had to download a new encryption key. How can I update my PC and IMac?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The DVD should be recognized regardless of encryption. Any encryption simply interferes with the ability to playback. In which case you may need to update the media player. Not being recognized would seem to indicate a drive fault.

5. larryecook

The windows computer says there's no disc in the drive. The computer tries to read it for a few seconds then stops. The disc does not show up in the drive. When I put in the Mac it tries to read it for 30 seconds then spits it out.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Commercial or burned media? CD, DVD, Blu-Ray?

If it's a commercial disc, Google the disc name and see if there are any known issues. Otherwise, a disc not working in multiple computers would seem to indicate a disc fault of some sort.

7. larryecook

Yes I bought The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises on Blu-ray.

8. larryecook

I did a little research online some people updated their firmware. I did that on my windows computer it did not help.

9. DerekC

DerekC

Possibly a stupid question, but are the DVD drives on the computer, blu-ray drives? If not, they will not read blu-ray discs.

10. larryecook

Their kind of old they where made before Blu-rays where popular.They always worked before. I have a newer Imac they won't work on that. On the Imac how do I update the firmware?

11. williambjacobs

williambjacobs

12. ntso

ntso

try buying a disc drive cleaner at a local computer store it may be hard to find so ask for help

13. larryecook

I'll try the drive cleaner on the windows computer. I read something online that said macs dont support blue rays

14. larryecook

Works fine with normal dvds.

15. DerekC

DerekC

If the drives work fine with normal DVDs, then it's probably like I said, They are not Blu-Ray drives. Nothing you could do except to replace and upgrade the physical drives.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice