Solved Computer won't post after being off for 2 years

Terryw92

The computer has been off for couple years (covered for dust, never helped) Now it wont post, when I press the power button it goes to start, lights go on and fans start to spin (briefly) then completely off within 1 -3 seconds, then appears to be dead no reaction from power button. If I switch the psu switch off then on I get the same 1-3 seconds. Could this be shorting issue from dust or could a component fail from not being used for a while?

CPU- AMD(Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz 6 core processor
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-970-UD3P AMD
GFX - Radeon RX 470 4GB
RAM- 8GB (2x 4GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz Dual Channel kit
PSU - XFX PRO650W XXX Edition Semi modular
HDD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda
DVD HD- Liteon 24x Internal SATA DVD RW Drive

I am unable to take the computer apart properly at the moment (gpu ram peripherals have been took out and in) and I dont have spare parts to try anyone able to take a educated guess?

I understand I will probably have to take everything out of the case, more hoping this is obvious to someone who knows computers

Last edited:
Was the computer unplugged while not being used? I find that its better to unplug them from the wall. That way you eliminate the risk of a power surge.

Terryw92

Was the computer unplugged while not being used? I find that its better to unplug them from the wall. That way you eliminate the risk of a power surge.
Yeah computer was unplugged and covered, worked fine before I stopped using it, 2 years later dead'ish

Terryw92

I took the psu out, disconnected it and did the 'paper clip test' the fan spun for a second then nothing. Does this mean the psu has died ? Honestly dont know if it should continually spin or not

crjdriver

The paperclip test is next to useless; it does not test the unit under any load. All it shows is if the unit is capable of starting. In this case, since it stops I would put money on a failed pw supply.
Do understand that your hardware is now 9yr old. If a new pw supply does not fix the issue, it is not cost effective to repair this old of hardware.
A new pw supply can be used in a new build [if it proves to be some other issue ie motherboard, etc]
IMO a new pw supply would be justified [since it can be used in another build] however not replacing a motherboard, or other hardware.

Terryw92

The paperclip test is next to useless; it does not test the unit under any load. All it shows is if the unit is capable of starting. In this case, since it stops I would put money on a failed pw supply.
Do understand that your hardware is now 9yr old. If a new pw supply does not fix the issue, it is not cost effective to repair this old of hardware.
A new pw supply can be used in a new build [if it proves to be some other issue ie motherboard, etc]
IMO a new pw supply would be justified [since it can be used in another build] however not replacing a motherboard, or other hardware.
Thank you crjdriver exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for, you're right the hardware is old and no reasonable upgrade path, like you said the psu can be used for a new build. Think I will do that. Tbh if I buy a psu I would probably try it in the computer then box it until i got other parts, do you think another 650w will have room for slightly upgraded hardware? ( i realise this is vague)

Last edited:

Tanis

Shane
A good quality 650w PSU will cover you for most builds, unless you are going for something extreme.

crjdriver

I wrote this last night and evidently did not click the post button :eek:
Unless you plan on hard core gaming with a top of the line nividia or amd video card, a quality 650W pw supply is fine. If you do intend on getting a high end video card, then you probably should go for something like a 700~750W

Last edited:

Terryw92

Thank you everyone for the replys, i will update this post when i have more information

Terryw92

I finally got a 750w power supply, PC seems to be running fine now. it did have a corrupted bios on load up and reverted to a back up bios. No idea if i lost any settings, i dont think i changed anything there. I did notice my GPU is hitting 82 C max in games after a little bit.
Would that be normal for a sapphire AMD radeon RX470 card?
Also the GPU is running in 2.0 but i assume its because my motherboard only supports 2.0 not 3.0?

crjdriver

If the board is pci2, that is as fast as the card is going to run. Same thing with a slower card; I have a pci4 motherboard however the video card is pci3 so that is the speed at which it runs.
82C is fine for a video card under a load. If it is not under a load ie just reading email or whatever, 50~60C or so would be normal.
If your backup bios flashed the main bios, the board is back to whatever bios was on it when mfg. There is a way to flash a backup bios however it is somewhat convoluted and there really is no need to flash the backup bios. I would flash your main bios back to the latest release bios on your motherboard support page. Note when you see a gigabyte bios with a suffix ie F11B or whatever, that is a beta bios. Normal or release bios will just have a letter and number ie F10, etc.

If you do decide to flash the bios, make sure you read and FULLY understand the flashing procedure. A bios flash is not difficult however an incorrect flash can render your motherboard unbootable. At least with a gigabyte board, you have the dual bios in case something goes wrong so those boards [gigabyte] are pretty much idiot proof.
Note the ONLY way I ever flash a bios is from the utility built into the bios. On a gigabyte board, it is called QFlash. IMO using a windows based program to flash a bios is just asking for a problem.

Terryw92

Would i be recommended to flash to a new bios or just sticking with the bios it gave me? I dont overclock or mess about with any bios setting anyway. (apart from adding a cpu temp warning for 70c)

crjdriver

Unless the newer bios has something you need ie a fix or hardware support, then just use the bios that the motherboard came with from the factory.
There is never a need to flash a bios just to have the "Latest and greatest bios" Bios updates are done for a reason [as referenced above]

Terryw92

Perfect thank you very much for the response and help all very much appreciated, thankfully i can mark this as solved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online