1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't POST after case transfer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Simpletown, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Simpletown

Simpletown Thread Starter

I recently purchased a brand new case

I transferred my current computer guts to this new case from the old one.

Corasair 750w CMPSU
    Asus p5N72-T Premim
    500GB WD SATA HD
    GTX280
    Corsair 240 pinn 1066 x2 Dominator
    Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale E7600

After three hours of carefully taking out the parts from the old case and placing them into the new one, I try to boot. Everything turns on with the exception of the fan on the GTX280 card. I’ve had problems in the past with the card booting up so I kept trying to boot up over and over trying to see where the problem was from. The problem was not in the video card, I was able to make the fan start a few times, and for good measure also tested with a working Geforce 8600 GTX which had no trouble.

The main problem is I have yet to make the computer POST. After day two of trying to make the computer work through booting attempts with combinations of with bare bones parts, the power supply begins to make a electrical crackling as if there was sparks flying around. This power supply is now completely dead, each time it booted the crackling got worse until it died. I have no idea why this recently purchased quality power supply started doing that.

I’ve since put in another 680W power supply that works well and this successfully turns on all the components but still has the same exact problem, the computer wont post.

I have tried 3 different sets of working RAM, all compatible.
    I have tried two different power supplies (both working, one now dead from this)
    The motherboard has been reseated multiple times
    I have used multiple working video cards
    No previous problems with any part
    Unable to reset CMOS, does not have jumper
    Do not have floppy drive

Any suggestions are appreciated, this problem is beyond my knowledge.

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

The power supply failure might have taken out the board.Have you tried a out of case test? Use only 1 stick of ram> video hooked up to monitor> cpu & heatsink> keyboard & mouse>power supply connections secure. Short the power pins to start to see if you get a display.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did you install the motherboard stand-offs properly in the new chassis?

4. Simpletown

Simpletown Thread Starter

As far as I can tell the motherboard has been placed in the case comfortably and has been reseated multiple times.

I am unable to start the computer outside of the case.

Did I ruin both power supplies now? :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!