1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grievent, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grievent

grievent Thread Starter

MB: MSI 770-C45
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720
    PSU: OCZ 500MXS 500W (old) / SeaSonic S12II 520W (new)
    VGA: XFX Radeon HD 5770 (old) / Asus Radeon HD 6770 (new)

In my old system, the machine ran, with various graphic artifacts like these. Diagnosing bad video RAM, I replaced the video card and suddenly broke my computer.

The problem: when powering on, MB lights turn on, CPU and case fans turn on fine. Video card fan turns on, then cycles high-low-high-low constantly and nothing further happens. There is no signal to the monitor, just fan spinning.

This happened with the new card, but the problem persisted even when I switched cards back. Other sites told me the power supply was bad, so I switched to a new supply; no dice. Same problem still.

Things that I've tried:

• Dusting all components thoroughly
    • Reseating RAM
    • Reseating VGA cards
    • Resetting CMOD
    • Changing power cables
    • Bare testing the MB outside of the case
    Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

How many RAM sticks do you have, if more than one try running with just one stick installed, then if no improvement swap the sticks and try again.

3. grievent

grievent Thread Starter

Sorry for not being more clear in the opening post but I've already done that with all combinations of the two ram sticks I have. Memtest86 showed no problems in RAM, as well.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, this is looking like a bad motherboard. One other thing you could try is to burn an Ubuntu CD and see if that will boot the PC.

Use this one Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows and follow the instructions to see if it will access the hard drive. If this does not successfully boot the PC then I think it is going to be a motherboard fault.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above is good advise; see it it will boot a live type CD however it sounds like you damaged the board when swapping video cards OR perhaps it just decided to break at that time. In any case it does sound like a failed board.

Have you tried to see if the board will complete post with everything disconnected? If not, you can attempt this as well. Do the following;
    1 Open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives both hd and optical
    2 Pull out all add-in cards except the video card ie sound, nic, etc
    3 Disconnect any usb type device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
    4 Clear cmos with the clear jumper and then replace the jumper to the keep position
    5 Now pw ON and see if you get a display. If you do, then shutdown and start reconnecting devices one at a time until you find the failed device. If it does not post, then the board, cpu, ram or pw supply has failed and you need to swap parts with known good units to find which one has failed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice