1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't POST

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by garybeafl, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garybeafl

garybeafl Thread Starter

I was given a IBM model 850 that was supposed to be in working condition. It has w2000 installed on it. I am trying to get it to work for my sister-in-law. I hooked it all up with a known good monitor and when I hit the start button I can hear the fan start up and run and the power indicator light is on but it won't post.
    I took the case off and checked the ram and the two cards that are in it. It has onboard sound and video. Where should I go from here?

2. garybeafl

garybeafl Thread Starter

Did I post this in the wrong place?

3. dai

dai

any beeps when you turn it on
    will it get into the bios
    reseat the ram and check all cable connections and for any bent pins on the monitor plug to video connection

4. Firah

Firah

Sounds like a video card problem. Try installing a PCI video card, after disabling on-board video.

5. garybeafl

garybeafl Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I don't know how to get into the bios on this IBM. I guess I could just try different f keys till I find the right one.

6. Firah

Firah

Did you find it?

http://www.techadvice.com/tech/B/BIOS_Enter.htm

IBM
    Older Models - In order to get into the configuration of the IBM setup screen (CMOS) screen you need to hold down both mouse buttons during boot-up.
    Aptiva - Press F1
    Leading Edge
    Fortiva 5000 - <Cntrl> <Alt> <A> or <Cntrl> <Alt> <S>

7. garybeafl

garybeafl Thread Starter

I think I have found the answer. It has the wrong ram in it. Not wrong ram just the wrong size. On the inside cover it has a memory table and you have to put the right size in a certain order (leave it to IBM) anyway I have a 128 and a 64 and these will not work together. If I put the 128 in bank 0 then I must also put a 128 in bank 1 and 2. and the same with the 64. At least that is the way I am reading this table. Please correct me if I am wrong.

8. Firah

Firah

Try it and see! The case cover diagram ought to be correct.

9. garybeafl

garybeafl Thread Starter

Well the table said that I could put a 32 in bank 0 and a 64 in bank 1 and end up with 96. So I had a 32 in the closet and I got it out and put it in bank 0 and put the 64 in bank 1 and it still will not post. There is a date on the cover 5-21-99.

I went to crucial and they have no data on what ram goes into a IBM model 850. I really don't want to spend any money on this since it is for my sister in law and she is only going to play games on it. sorry to say but she is not smart enough to use a computer. I would be over there every day getting her out of trouble.

10. Firah

Firah

And there is no way for you to check if the RAM's are good, right?

I still think it could be a video problem, though. Is there any jumper on the M/B to disable onboard video, so you could try a PCI one?

11. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Someone whould move this to the hardware forum, But as far as i ca tell yu have to have identical sized Dimms in the banks. I think with older pcs that have SIMMs you could mix but with dimms you cant.

12. garybeafl

garybeafl Thread Starter

A mod can move this to Hardware if they want. The only way I could test the ram would be to put in my computer which I guess I will end up doing. I don't have a extra video card to stick in it but then I can't get into the bios anyway. At least so far I can't.
    I thought the motherboard had to send a signal to the monitor before you can do anything. I have not seen any raster on the monitor at all.

13. dai

dai

this sounds like the old type of ram where you could only install matching pairs

14. garybeafl

garybeafl Thread Starter

My grandson got this computer from work. They replace all the computers every 5 yrs and give the old ones to the employees.
    I am going to see if he can just trade this one for another one at work.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice