1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't POST.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maximus19, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maximus19

Maximus19 Thread Starter

I just bought a new motherboard and celeron 2.0G and they thing won't POST. I tried just hoking up the CPU and the power supply and still nothing. Is it CPU or the motherboard?

2. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Are you getting any beeps when you turn on the power?

3. n2gun

n2gun

One thing it may be is the board is shorted to the case. Take it out and place it on a piece of cardboard to insulate it and see if it will boot with one stick of memory and the video card and monitor hooked up.

Also check the clear cmos jumper. some boards are shipped with it in the clear cmos position(pins 2 and 3). It should be on pins ! and 2.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here are my instructions for what I call "Problem builds'

1) Remove EVERYTHING from the case
    2) Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. .DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can acually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
    3) Install the CPU and heat sink.
    4) Install the RAM (only install 1 stick for SDRAM, 2 for RDRAM)
    5) Install the video card
    6) Connect the monitor to the video card.
    7) Connect the power supply to the motherboard.
    8) Connect power to the power supply
    9) Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
    10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. If not, then you most likely have a faulty component. Do this and and post your results, then we will get it all assembled in the case and get this thing running.

5. Maximus19

Maximus19 Thread Starter

I tried the "Problem builds" and still same results. The CPU fan turns on and still doesn't perform POST (Doesn't even indicate a beep). I also checked the clear CMOS jumper and it is set to pins 1 and 2. I don't need the video card in to perform POST right??

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It will give an error code; no video. If you have followed the above instructions, the only other thing is to start swapping parts with known good components.

Since this is a new board / cpu, I would think about an rma. What brand of mb did you purchase?

7. Maximus19

Maximus19 Thread Starter

The motherboard is an ASUS P4PE-X. What exactly is an RMA (stupid question)???

8. n2gun

n2gun

RMA is a number their tech support will give to return the board. It will need to be on the outside the package when shipped.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This might be a silly question, however you have plugged in the extra 4 pin power connector correct? If you have done so, then the only thing you can do is swap ps, and cpu with know good units. This will prove the board is doa [dead on arrival]

10. Maximus19

Maximus19 Thread Starter

I've swapped power supplies and but not CPU's and get the same results so maybe I'll see if I can find a CPU.

11. Future

Future

Most Intel CPUs of late, require two power supply connectors from the PSU.

One for the main board, and the other is for the CPU itself. It is a 4 pin square block. If your PSU doesn't have one, then you need to get one that does.

Once you have connected the PSU connectors to the main board you need to attach the video card, then the monitor cable to the video card. Make sure the monitor is on.

With the CPU heat sink and fan and MEMORY modules in place, you are ready to try to power up.

This is the most basic setup to test a board.

Make sure you have the board on a flat surface, preferably a piece of wood that is smooth and free of anything.

The next thing is to make sure any jumpers relating to speed of cpu and ram should be checked to see if they are correctly configured.

good luck

12. Maximus19

Maximus19 Thread Starter

I do have the extra power cable plugged in and it doesn't seem to be any jumpers relating to the speed of the CPU.

13. Maximus19

Maximus19 Thread Starter

So I figured out why it wouldn't POST. It was actaully POSTING but I had the speaker plugged in wrong. I tested the RAM and this seemed to be the problem. Thanks for all the help.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice