1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Photopilot, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Photopilot

Photopilot Thread Starter

Or at least I assume its not posting.

I am putting together a computer from the leftovers box to act as a server and am just started testing the components.

I have an an old case
    Asus A78nx-E Deluxe MOBO with unknown processor under the heat sink and fan.
    I have a 350 W power supply that has been tested with a PSU tester
    I have an IDE HDD attached as well
    An AGP VGA card
    1GB ram stolen from another computer

I have all this loosely sitting in the case. So far I have plugged in the 20 pin connector and fired up hit the power switch. The fan on the Video card spins up for about 30 seconds then stops. At this point when the video card stops, The green LED on the MOBO goes dim. Thats it, no beeps on startup. No display on the monitor attached to the VGA.

My assumption is a bad MOBO but since I have not been through this not sure how to tell. Looking for suggestions on how to test the MOBO or what else to try.
    Thanks

2. Flags

Flags

Just because your PSU tester passes your PSU does not mean the PSU is good.
    I have tested a lot of PSU that the tester said was OK, but would now power up a computer. I would assume that is because a tester does not demand as much of the PSU as the computer does at startup.

I suggest you try another PSU in the computer.

Be sure there are no swollen,leaking capacitors on the mobo and video card.

3. replay

replay

that is a great board ..don't count it out yet
    take the board out of the case and set it up on some cardboard then try a different psu

4. Photopilot

What is the minimum I should have when trying to POST? Does it need a HD? How about the VGA?

I suspect the RAM being a culprit. Reading up on the MOBO, the most common discussions are problem getting running at first because of RAM voltage issues. The other is problems getting SATA HDs to work with it.

I bought some RAM 2gb (2x1GB) for my main computer and am using the old sticks to try and run this computer. Any way to eliminate the RAM as a source of trouble without buying the specific RAM they suggest is compatible?

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

Use the trouble shooting guide on hardware page by CRJDRIVER its a good guide

6. Photopilot

I had just gone through the steps in the trouble shooting guide for testing a MOBO and no luck.

So I have bench tested the ASUS A78X-e-deluxe MOBO. I am getting mixed results in my tests. I have the board out of the case on a piece of cardboard only the VGA and a stick of Ram are in it. I have the 20 pin connector attached and the CPU fan attached also.

The first series of tests got the fan spinning on the VGA and CPU spinning for 2 minutes before it shut off. I tried switching out the VGA card for another even older one. After switching the VGA card the fan would only spin for 20 seconds then stop. I put the better VGA back in but still got only 20 seconds of fan. So I switched to a second PSU and only got 2 seconds before the fan died. Back to the original PSU and only got 2 seconds again.

Never got any beeps or monitor action, and everything I try seems to be making it worse. I do not have any other parts to swap out and try, is there anything else I can try?

One other thought is the RAM. Looking up info on this MOBO I have read it is specific as to what RAM it can use. I do not have any of that RAM around, could this be a problem on the POST? Anyway around this? I do not want to spend anymore time and money on a dead MOBO if that is the case.

7. iframe

iframe

Did you remember the P4 ?

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

What RAM does the manual say you need? What RAM are you trying to use?

9. frankjohn

frankjohn

Have you got the heat sink with thermal paste properly set ? Ram is mentioned ,[do you have the correct ram? ]are you using the right processor ? & the atx 4 pin connector [power]

10. replay

replay

that board doesn't have the xtra 4 pin power.......... try and reseat the cpu/heatsink (with fresh thermal paste)

11. frankjohn

frankjohn

My error Replay {did not look into MB diagram about the 4 pin

12. frankjohn

frankjohn

Meant REPAY

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice