1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't power on?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MichaelCeraGuy, Oct 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. MichaelCeraGuy

MichaelCeraGuy Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I am having a serious problem with my desktop PC here. Last night it was working just fine, but today it won't power on, or at least, not for any longer than for less than a second. No thunderstorms or anything of the sorts happened recently. When I try to power on the PC, the fans and internal lights turn on for less than a second, and then everything abruptly turns off. About 10 seconds later, it will automatically try to power on again, which will again only blip on before shutting off again. This will repeat until I flip the power switch at the back, at which point the PC will attempt to repower one more time before shutting off again a second *after* the switch has been flipped.

I tried the basic troubleshooting steps of jumping my main motherboard connectors from the green wire to the common wire, and the lights/fans come on just fine, and stay on.

Does this indicate that my motherboard went bad?

Edit: My power supply is a Corsair RM1000i; I have forgotten the brand of my motherboard, and will retrieve that information soon...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  2. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    IT sounds like a hardware problem.
    Because power supplies fail more frequently than motherboards, and they are less expensive and are easier to replace, I would suggest swapping the power supply to see if that resolves your issue.
    It could also be a problem with the power switch on your case. If you have a reset switch, you could try hooking that up to the SW header on the motherboard to see if that resolves it.

3. MichaelCeraGuy

MichaelCeraGuy Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I do not have a power supply on hand to try replacing it with and so will need to get one from the store tomorrow. As for your other suggestion, I am not familiar with the SW header on the motherboard. What's the SW header do?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you get the pw supply, you do not even have to fully install it. Simply connect atx pw, aux/cpu pw, and video pw [if used] Hit the ON button and see if the system will POST. If so, shutdown and fully install the pw supply. If the board will not POST in the above config, then you are going to have to do more troubleshooting/parts swapping.

5. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice