1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't power up AT ALL (No fans)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by S.G.C., Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.G.C.

S.G.C. Thread Starter

This problem has me stumped:confused: , my grandma's computer will not power up. I think she had a power surge because when I open up the power supply there was a burn mark on the circuit board and bottom of the circuit board case. The old power supply heated up so much a capacitor unsoldered itself.

I chatted with a Gateway tech support person and the said that is was the power supply and so we ordered one from him and installed it. The computer still would not boot up, I check that I had everything plugged in, the power supply switch was on, and that there is power to the outlet.

I did notice that there is a green LED on the motherboard that is lit up and that light was not lit up before the new power supply was installed.

If someone could give me ideas that would be great.

Thank for your help:)

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

It's not unusual for a dying power supply to take other parts down with it. The motherboard is generally included in the victim list. It's likely that you are looking at a torched board. However, there are a couple of things to check before you give up on it.

Look inside the case for loose wires, disconnected harnesses, etc. If you find nothing there, I would do an out of case build to eliminate shorts or a component problem. You can find instructions here: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/580000-troubleshooting-guide-problem-builds.html
    Try that with your new power supply, and report your results back.

3. S.G.C.

S.G.C. Thread Starter

Sorry that it took so long to reply, I checked the hard drive and that works fine so I was going to buy a new motherboard and processer.

Is this recommended or is there anything else I should check first?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/610471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice