1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't power up (poss. power supply)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by polite_pc, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polite_pc

polite_pc Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm currently a computing student so I rely on my computer a lot for my studies and was hoping I could get some quick advice/troubleshooting on here. So here goes (y):

I've had a problem with my computer recently, it's been working fine for a year or so with no problems, and then one day i tried switching it on and nothing happened. I tried once more and then the power short circuited (I then had to turn the power back on from the mains switch). :eek:

The strange thing is, my housemate had exactly the same problem, and after searching for the answer , he was told it was due to a static buildup and the solution was to take out components (graphics card, RAM) e.t.c and put them back in.

I tried this and no luck :(, I was thinking due to the short circuit, there may be a problem with a fuse in the power supply? other then that I'm completely stumped and would appreciate any help given.

Many Thanks for all help received

2. Nebastion

Nebastion

Does it happen with any other appliances? as in does using the toaster while using the kettle While your mate is in the Electric shower, telly on, or ironing?

Possibly a static build up, it is possible, Wher are you situated??
    What voltage are you on?

What is the make and model of your comp? is it the same as your friends?

is your machine custom built or is it a brand?
    Answer a few of them and we will try to narrow it down 4 you..

Mean while if you could get your hands on a spare PSU that would be handy. And remember when dealing with PSU's alway leave them to sischarge for at least 24hrs,
    the 3 D'S, Disconect, discharge, dismantle.

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Clear the CMOS and see if that helps. If you had a sudden shutdown, sometimes it causes the CMOS to not be saved properly, so you need to get it back to factory settings. Here is how you do that if you don't know how:

Clearing The CMOS

Clearing RTC (Real Time Clock) RAM:

• Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.

• Hit the ON button (power button) on the case to remove any residual power.

• Remove the onboard motherboard battery.

• Move the Jumper Cap from pins 1 & 2 (default) to pins 2 & 3. Keep the cap on pins 2 & 3 for ten seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1 & 2.

• Reinstall the Battery.

• Plug in the power cord and turn on the computer.

• Hold down the DEL key and enter the bios setup menu to re-enter data.

Notes: Some motherboards use different key combinations to enter the bios setup menu.

There are also some motherboards that you can simply push a button to achieve the same as moving the jumper from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3 and then moving the jumper back.

In addition, there are some boards that you simply use a screwdriver to short across the two jumper pins (no jumper), but this serves the same a removing the jumper and replacing it to adjacent pins.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/864011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice