Computer won't power up with ATX12V connected

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Katla

About a week ago I was on my system (stable desktop unit, unchanged for a few years), browsing the web, when it suddenly died. Kaput. Would not power back on. I smelled nothing - either signs of a blown PSU or motherboard, but I nevertheless went out and bought a new PSU. I'd been using a 500w for a few years, upgraded to a 600. Installed it, plugged everything back in. Nothing. Started stripping things down, trying to isolate the issue. Discovered that if I leave the ATX12V pins unplugged the computer powers on fine. At least as fine as it can (fans, lights, etc). I can see zero signs of damage to not only the ATX12V, but to the mobo as a whole. Have seen other threads online about this issue but nothing that was resolved. Just a lot of stumped people and guesses.

I'm already out the money for a new PSU (good to have a back-up, I guess), so before I start buying motherboards or a CPU I'd like to try to get some inkling of what I'm looking for. I've got a friend's old motherboard with me, and tomorrow I hope to try that out. Problem is he has no processor (or heat sink) on that so I'd need to use mine and get a new sink.

Any advice on what to look out for while doing all this would be appreciated, as would any clues on this issue as a whole. I'll keep this thread updated as I test things out.

Thank you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts