Computer won't read external hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sugarzoozoo

I have a WD My Book external hard drive, and my computer suddenly isn't reading it. The drive shows up under devices, in disk management, and remove device option, but it doesn't show up in My Computer. I can't access it. When I go to disk management it said not initialized. I try to initialize it and I get an error message saying drive isn't large enough for GPT. The drive is 2 TB. I tried recovery software, but they don't even pick up the device. I tried different USB slots as well, and another computer but it didn't show up on other computer either. The problem happened after I disconnected and connected to the other computer. I need some help fixing this problem, because I have alot of stuff on the drive! Also in cmd it stated fatal drive error when I try to do something with the drive. Any help would be appreciated!

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Some hardware and software details may help.
You say "suddenly", was is being read before and what hardware/software have you changed??

sugarzoozoo

You say "suddenly", was is being read before and what hardware/software have you changed??
reply:i havent changed anything on my computer itself. my computer is a hp desktop and the drive is a 3 tb wd my book external drive.

sugarzoozoo

How old is it?

It may have failed...
reply: it is a wd my book, bought about 2 or 3 years ago i think. same as with my computer. it was working up till i unplugged it and plug it into another computer.it wont let me initialize it or manage it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online