1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Won't Recognize 2nd drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mamacat104, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mamacat104

Mamacat104 Thread Starter

I have installed a second drive in the computer. First drive is a Western Digital 20G, 2nd drive is a 40G Seagate. I have the drives set up correctly. The WD drive is the master and the setting is for Master (I double checked). The Seagate is set for Slave (I double checked this also). The WD drive is on the first connector of the 40 pin cable assembly. the Seagate is on the center connector and the other end in the motherboard. Pin1 to pin1 is okay. I checked that also. Pin one is to the side of the power cord. The master drive is working fine (this is the computer I am online with). The 2nd drive I cannot get the computer to recognize.
    It shows up in the bios setting..It is showing master drive and slave drive and their sizes..
    in the System area from the Control Panel, I checked there. No number is assigned to the slave and I can't access the area to assign it one. Hard disk controller is showing Primary and Secondary, Primary as Interrupt 14 and secondary as interrupt 15. Teh PCI Bus Master IDE Controller is showing both IDE channels enabled.
    I'm stumped now and don't know what else to look for to make this second drive work.
    Hope that someone can please help me. I would like to access the drive..I have things on it from another computer.

thanks much
    Barbara

2. Rockn

Rockn

What OS are you running? The drive needs to have a partition and be formatted in order for Windoze to use it.

3. DVOM

DVOM

WD drives have two different jumper settings for "master" and "master with slave present".

4. rockinmale

rockinmale

Try putting both drives on cable select.......

5. Rockn

Rockn

WD's have never had the master with slave present jumper setting. It's not a jumper setting if her BIOS is detecting the drive correctly. It could still be a BIOS limitation or the patiotioning of the drive as I stated earlier. Let us know.

6. DVOM

DVOM

Rockn, Check out this page. Scroll down to the bottom.

However, you're right about the BIOS detecting it.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

BUZZ, WRONG! :) Check any WD drive, I happen to have an old 8gig Caviar here in my closet. There are settings for single, master, and slave. I can assure you that putting a slave on the drive set as single doesn't work, been there, done that.

8. Mamacat104

I don't remember seeing "Master with Slave present" setting on my particular WD drive. I have Master and Single and Slave settings that I can use. I have it set as Master. I have the other drive set as Slave.
    On the master drive, I have Windows 98 and on the slave drive is Windows XP. is this why it is not seeing the drive? I would think it would at least see it, just not be able to read it maybe because the two have different file systems.
    If I go into the device manager, I can see the drive is present, but has no letter. And I have no way to enter a letter in it.
    Now, I'm not sure how to get the computer to recognize the drive. I am going to check this afternoon to see if indeed there is a setting on mine for 'master with slave present', but i don't believe my particular model has that.
    Anyway. How do I format the drive and get the computer to recognize that it is there.? I may try to install it as the main one and format it and all first and then put back in to see if that works. At this point, I am finding out that the Windows 98 isn't going to be able to read the files on it anyway, because they were created with Windows XP. So If I make it Windows 98, and the computer will recognize it, I can at least be able to use it.
    thanks
    Barbara
    (I'll let you all know how I come out. And thank you all for your help. I truly appreciate it. I'l learning all this and the last couple of months, computers have really tried to see what I know..they are out to get me...I have done more work on computers in the last two months than I have in two years). :eek:)

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Per chance (and I may have missed it in the thread) does the 40G drive have a software overlay program installed on it similar to EZ-Drive or EZ-Bios?

Another thing, on the XP drive did you set it up using FAT32?

10. Rockn

Rockn

OK we can play symantecs here. Master with slave present is the same as setting it to master. No jumper needed when it is a stand alone drive.

Mamacat...if the drive already has an OS on it and it's XP I can bet you that it is partitioned using NTFS and that's why you cannot access it. While in Win98 open a DOS window and type in FDISK. Select Y for large disk support, select 5 for change current fixed disk drive. At the next menu select 2 for the drive with XP on it....make sure it is the correct drive size for the second drive. Select 4 for display partition info. If it says Non-DOS partition you have NTFS on it. Press esc once and then select option 3 for delete partition and at the next screen select delete non-DOS partition. Once it is gone press esc to get to the main screen for Disk2 options and select 1 for create DOS partition or logical disk drive. Make primary partition and then esc out of all of it once it has been created. Back in Windows Explorer you should see the drive letter and should be able to right click it and select FORMAT. Once it is formatted you can use it.

11. DVOM

DVOM

Mamacat104, if you looked at the link I provided you'd see where the misunderstanding is coming from. Some sources name the jumpers as "single" and "master", while other sources call them "master" and "master with slave present". Apparently you've got it sorted out correctly.

Part of the problem seems to come from the file systems. If the slave drive is NTFS while the master is FAT32 you won't be able to access the slave drive from win98.

If you need to transfer files from the NTFS drive to the FAT32 drive, you'll have to switch their positions on the IDE ribbon. Make the NTFS the master and the FAT32 the slave. Then boot to XP and you should be able to transfer the files you need.

After you've gotten all the files off the drive, you could then fdisk and format the 40G drive and format with FAT32. Then win98 will be able to see it when the 40G is set as the slave.

Edit: Rockn, yup it is just semantics.

12. Mamacat104

Okay, checked all my settings.. 2nd drive set as slave, first drive set as Master (only three options on it, Master, Slave or Single). Cable connected correct.
    Did Fdisk on the dos command. It went in saw the NFTS file system on Partition 1. I deleted the Non-Dos partition, created the Dos Partition. I checked to see what partition was showing once I finished. It now shows Dos partition on the 2nd drive.
    I go back to windows, go into windows Explorer.. NO 2nd Drive showing still. Okay, what now?
    On drive 1, there are two partitions, so they are letters C and D. therefore Drive 2 will need to be letter E. But I am getting nothing in Windows Explorer. I rebooted...still does not appear. it is in the device manager with NO letter assigned.
    How do I get it to assign a letter to it.? I'm stumped now.
    not sure what to do.
    thanks
    Barbara

13. DVOM

DVOM

After you create a DOS partition, you've got to create either a primary or extended partition on it. If the drive will be used for data storage, make it extended.

Then you'll have to create a logical partition to fill the extended partition.

Or you could create more than one logical partition to fill the extended partition.

Then format the partition/s.

You might want to disconnect your OS drive while doing this to avoid mistakes.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you assume facts not in evidence. This is exactly the situation that I ran into, and the WD DID NOT WORK with the no jumpers and the slave drive attached. Also, I just ran into the opposite situation with a WD 200 gig drive, I had the master jumper on with no slave, and it wasn't recognized. I had forgotten my earlier lesson on this from the previous problem several years back. There really is a difference.

15. Bortega104

Bortega104

Hi,
    well, had to run through the procedure again, the Fdisk and all. This time it finally took and I now can see the drive. I formatted it and am now using it for data and it all is working fine. I have now reformatted and am resetting up the main drive. I had some problems with it. But on my way to getting it back up and running.
    Running into a couple problems where an install came back and said I didn't have enough disk space. Not sure what it was looking at, since one drive is 20 gig and the other is 40 gig and not that much of them are being used at this time.

thanks for all your input. I sure do appreciate it.
    You all are GREAT!!

have a wonderful day.
    Barbara

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice