1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't recognize DVD drive help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fanta12, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fanta12

Fanta12 Thread Starter

Ok so my DVD drive in my computer turns on fine, I can open it and put in CD's/DVD ok, but when I go to 'My Computer' it doesn't show up. In addition, CD's that normally autoplay won't automatically play on my screen. Everything has been fine for like 10 months up until today - i tried reboot but I'm not sure what else to do.

I tried this : Copy the following into a blank Notepad, save it as FIXCD.REG, and then double click on the file to merge it into the registry. Reboot the computer and the drive should be back.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

but when i double click it it says: Cannot importe (location) the specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

2. Fanta12

Fanta12 Thread Starter

i used the method witht the notepad, as in the description, but this time i chosen "all files" instead of "txt document" and it said that it has successfully entered into the registry

but.. its still not working... i still cant see my dvd in my computer.. i real dont know what to do anymore :( i have a windows xp, if this helps..

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037617