1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer wont recognize external.. please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newmand, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newmand

newmand Thread Starter

i have a toshiba satellite a505 laptop and i was using my external 2 days ago and now for some reason it wont recognize.. i am really computer stupid but one of my buddies said the driver is gone or something like that.. the external works fine just wont recognize... please help

2. maceman

maceman

Hi Newmand,
    It is probably a driver issue. You could try to system restore to the point it was still working (2 days ago). Let us know more about your OS and external, maybe we can help more :D

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this an Extrernal Hard drive, Optical Drive, Floppy Drive? Also giving us the Manufacturer and Model Number would be helpful. If a Hard drive installed in an external case add the Case Information as well as the Manufacturer and Model number of the Hard drive.

4. El_chaffinch

El_chaffinch

Try finding drivers for your hardware. Either search your proucts name and make on the internet or if you can find your external in device manager you could try updating from there (start > run> type: sysdm.cpl> click "hardware" tab then device manager).
    If your external came witha disk that will probably have drivers on as well, though i find it best to use the internet.

If new drivers don't work could use some more information, for example like dusty asks; external what? what operating system?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    In his/her computer specs it says Win 7.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice