1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Won't Recognize Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by R22, Nov 6, 2019.

1. R22

R22 Thread Starter

I removed a WD GREEN 1TB SATA HD from another computer.
    Using a patch cord I plugged it in to a USB port on new computer I just built 5 months ago.
    New computer does not recognize it.
    Anyone know why?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Bad patch cord would be my first guess. Check Device Manager for any ! entries.

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Are you connecting a previous internal 3.5" drive to the system via a Sata to USB cable?

If so my guess is that the USB doesn't give enough power to power the drive on. Only 2.5" laptop drives will operate like that, without an external power source.

SarahSims likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice