1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Won't Recognize my new HD

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by got hijacked, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. got hijacked

got hijacked Thread Starter

Hey computer savants,

The other day I installed a 300 GB internal IDE hard drive to replace my 80 GB drive, which was getting full of mp3s and photos (amazing how fast 7 Megapixel camera shots will fill your drive up!) I was able to install the HD without too much trouble and set the jumper to cable (which had worked with my 80 GB drive). However, when I powered on and booted up, my computer refused to recognize the new 300 Gig drive. I'm running Win 98 SE and the new drive is a 300 GB samsung 3.5" internal ide drive. The computer is a 2000 Compaq Presario. I tried setting the jumper to slave but it still wouldn't recognize the drive. I note there was one difference between this 300 GB hard drive and my 80 GB, and that is that the jumper on this one only has 8 pins whereas the 80 GB had 10. Not sure if that matters.

Any thoughts on what to do?

As always, thanks for your help!

Rick

2. norton850

norton850

Your computer BIOS is probably too old to recognize a drive of that size. There may be a BIOS update available, but knowing Compaq I doubt it. You can look on the HP/Compaq website to see if there is a BIOS update that addresses the problem. Other options are a drive overlay which often comes on a CD with the drive or a separate controller card.

3. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Your other option is to use an ATA control card dush as a Promise and connect the hard drive to that.

Follow the instructions supplied with the card carefully. Don't simply install the card, connect it and go.

You must install the drivers before installing the card.

hth

Ceri

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!