Computer won't recognize USB 2.0 PCI Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KevinDunk

I have pentium 4 running Windows XP. I tried installing a Compaq 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI card in my computer but the computer will not recognize it. I have 2 open slots and it won't work in either. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
By "not recognize" do you mean that it's not in Device Manager, even with an error code? If so, and the slots aren't bad, maybe the card is bad. Have you tried it in another machine?

KevinDunk

I removed my pci card for the phone and installed the usb card in its place and the computer recognizes it but when it goes to install the software it says it can't install the hardware because it couldn't find the necessary hardware.

Kevin

unless I'm mistaken, installing a usb pci card also requires you to connect a cable from the pci card to the corresponding slot on the motherboard. This could be why your system doesn't recognize it. If you've done this then disregard this message.

KevinDunk

The PCI slots are already connected to the motherboard. There is nothing to connect to the card that I am outting in the slot. It just slides in the open slot.

Kevin

the usb pci cards that I'm familiar with have a 9 pin cable connection(2 rows, 5 top, 4 bottom with empty space). The usb 2.0 ports on my new tower also require a cable connection to the motherboard in order to work.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
dohnutman, you're talking about USB devices connecting to the MB USB controller. We're talking about a PCI card that has the USB controller on it. Apples and Oranges.

SirKenin

Banned
A USB 2.0 card requires Windows XP SP 1. If you have not installed that already, you should do so now.

JohnWill said:
dohnutman, you're talking about USB devices connecting to the MB USB controller. We're talking about a PCI card that has the USB controller on it. Apples and Oranges.
some pci usb cards have 9pin cable connections, such as this 1
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DFZ66.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

others do not.
http://www.mycableshop.com/300x300/PCI225USB_LP.large.jpg

I'm guessing this one is his,
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=317527

in which case it doesn't have a 9 pin connection. If windows doesn't detect it, it probably means the card is defective.

These are the system requirements for the pci card.
For use with IBM and 100% compatible PCs. Available PCI slot. 64mb of RAM. Microsoft Windows ® 2000 with Service Pack 4, XP Home, XP Pro, XP Tablet

JohnWill said:
That's true, but in the context we're talking about, the method of attaching an internal USB connector to the controller is not the problem. Read the thread again.
Yes, now that I looked up his card, I realize that. However, from past experience, most users simply forget to connect it to the controller, which is usually the source of the problem. In his case, you are correct, I misread the problem.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No problem, I do that regularly here, and I get told about it. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts