1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer wont restart/windows wont load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Winchester3, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winchester3

Winchester3 Thread Starter

When I start up my pc, I get a screen that says, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully, a recent hardware or software change may have caused this, ….etc."
    Then I am offered with a bunch of options to either:

1) Start in Safe Mode
    2) Safe Mode with Networking
    3) Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    4) Start Windows Normally
    5) Last Known Good Configuration

None of them work, the safe mode ones, show a bunch of lines of code as per normal when starting up safe mode, then it freezes and stops and eventually goes back to the screen mentioned above. Same for 4 and 5, windows blue loading bar screen comes up, then the screen turns black and nothing. After a few mins my computer restarts again and goes back to the screen mentioned above.

Prior to my computer not being able to restart/load windows. I had some pop up vundu trojans i was trying to remove. Did some research after about 5 hours finally removed it. A couple days after i started receiving "generic host process error" Something to do with explorer.exe program. So i ctrl + alt + del and explorer.exe was taking up 100 cpu usage. At this point i tried to minimize task manager and my computer froze up. I waited about an hour came back and still nothing so i manually turned off my computer and turned back on. And now it will not restart. I have no idea where my windows xp disks are or even if i have them. I found what appears to be the solution to my explorer.exe problem here > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314867 . However as i said i cannot boot up my computer at all.

I was rummaging through a box of disks and found what appeared to be back up disks, i threw one in and up came MSDOS 2.25 is there a way to boot up windows in safe mode from there?
    Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

By the way i am using windows XP service pack 2 i believe, cant recall exactly

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/640393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice