1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't return from standby! Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by n7Epsilon, Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a problem in the BIOS suspend/resume capabilities, I currently have the "StandBy" setting at S3/STR in the BIOS, so when I choose to suspend from Windows, the computer almost completely powers down...

---> I clicked Start > Turn off the computer > Suspend and watched Windows XP Pro's blue "Preparing to stand by...." screen, then the system suspended...

----------- Then a blackout occured while the system was in standby mode...

------> Then when I press the power button the ATX chassis (after power was back on), the Green Power LED comes on, and all the fans spin up and I can see the D-LED bracket going through the first two phases: "Early Chipset Initialization" and "Init Onboard Memory Size" (as documented by the 865PE manual)...for ONLY 2 seconds, then everything turns back off (the fans stop, power LED goes off, CPU off...etc.), then it tries to turn on back again.... and so on, constantly looping the first 2 phases....so once I suspend the PC it cannot get back to normal mode....

--------> Through trial and error and eliminating any of my components to be the issue, I temporarily got it to boot by removing one RAM module and pressing Reset on the case, twice, then turning it off again, and re-inserting the RAM module, then power back on....

---> After that, I was able to reproduce the problem several times, with the same solution....(even tried to reset BIOS but same results)

------------> This has never happened before and I do not have any hardware issues, Did a MEMTEST86 for more than 12 hours with both modules and all tests pass (even the extended ones), also checked PSU: running fine...

--> I have tried flashing my BIOS with an older version that used to work correctly but I'm getting the same problems !!

---> Running Windows XP Pro updated with SP2...

---> MSI 865PE Neo2-P PLS MS-6728 v2.0 Mainboard (Socket 478)
    ---> 2x256MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM Dual-Channel Mode (Slots 1 and 3)
    ---> 2.60C GHz Intel Pentium 4 CPU (Northwood core) 800 MHz FSB
    ---> MSI nVidia GeForce FX5200U 128MB AGP 8x (v3.0) Graphics Card....
    ---> 1x80GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Caviar ATA100 Hard disk drive....
    ---> ASUS CD-500S CD-ROM drive...

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

So, if I am understanding correctly, the computer will not even boot into Windows now?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So it never gets to a point where it tries to boot XP? If so then that points to a hardware problem - and since a power outage occurred the first thing to try would be a different powersupply.

Now, if the computer stops at the point where Windows should begin to load then maybe its just the Windows installation thats corrupt. In which case you can try a Repair installation by booting from the XP CD.

You should also make sure everything is being detected in the bios correctly, ie CPU speeds, RAM size, hard drive size, optical drives, etc.

4. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon Thread Starter

I've just returned home from college...

-> The computer just completed 36 passes of successful extended tests (WinDiag), not a single error, so my RAM is completely ruled out as being the problem...

-> Yes, when I resume from standby, it won't wake up at all (can't reach Windows)...
    The screen doesn't even come on from power saving mode, CPU keeps looping through "On" and "Off" (as stated earlier in previous post), so I have to physically unplug the mains to keep it off...

--> So, when I remove one of the two RAM modules (any one, both work fine), and then insert the mains and power up, it goes further, I can hear the hard drives spinning up, the fans all working, and the screen comes on, but displays nothing....also, the HDD LED blinks regularly and intermittently, it keeps doing this until I physically force it off (press POWER for 10 seconds). Then I power up again, and it boots normally as if it were doing a cold boot (as if it wasn't in standby mode). Then I power down again normally (Start > Turn off the computer), re-install the second RAM module and power up again.... No problems whatsoever....

---> Second thing, when I said that the power went out, I mean from the entire district (as in building, area, district blackout...etc.), and that happened while it was suspended...

-> It was when the power was restored to the area that the problem showed up for the first time when I tried to turn it on....

---> This has NEVER happened to me before, so I'm frankly baffled.... I though that it was a BIOS problem (since this was the first time I tried to Stand By after recently flashing with the latest BIOS AMI v3.A0), so when I recovered from the problem with the aforementioned steps, I flashed it with the older version (which didn't have this problem), but it still persists....

---> I am currently posting from the computer after a 12 hour non-stop successfull WinDiag memory test completed 36 passes without a single error....

---> Any feedback will be appreciated.. Thanks..

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I still think you have a hardware problem as in defective or damaged hardware.

What if you just disable the S3 Standy-by option in the BIOS? Or just use the Clear CMOS jumper to restore the settings to Defaults - but make sure to set the CPU and RAM settings up and disable the onboard video if you don't use it.

Standby is just one of those options that causes more problems then its worth. The time it takes for a new computer to bootup makes it not worth fiddling with an option that I constantly see fail. Another option is Hibernate. This saves what you doing and completely shuts down the computer.

6. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon Thread Starter

Well, I too am thinking of using the CMOS reset jumper, but one question here...
    - Isn't that the same as choosing "Load BIOS Setup Defaults" ?? (which I'd already done)

Second, even the the S1 option gives the same problem, but I haven't tested Hibernate..... I am afraid that if I Hibernate the system and it fails to return, I may not get so lucky as with just a Suspend, I may have to take the PC in (and that's something I don't want to do, I've built this PC component by component myself and I want to be the one who troubleshoots it - also I can't afford the exhorbitant prices of some computer repair shops here).......

--> Maybe I'll just give it a go...

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "Well, I too am thinking of using the CMOS reset jumper, but one question here...
    - Isn't that the same as choosing "Load BIOS Setup Defaults" ?? (which I'd already done)"

No, the jumper absolutely clears all settings, the Load Defaults does not.

As far as Hibernate goes - Windows saves the settings, and instructs the computer to power off. As far as the computer is concerned it just just turned off.

8. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon Thread Starter

Please Help !!!

My problem has just got worse !!!

--> The day before yesterday (when I posted on the forum), I shut down the computer normally, and went to sleep....

----> Next morning, I wanted to boot the computer to check if the problem is still there, and to my surprise and extreme frustration, the board will ABSOLUTELY NOT BOOT no matter what I do !! I'm posting now from a CyberCafe since I can't get my PC started at all!!

-----> Details:
    ---> First when I turn on the PC for first time... The power and HDD LEDS come on and the fans just start to spin, then everything goes off.. (similar to before) but without looping.. Once it's off it won't turn on again (ie: won't respond to power button), to get it to turn on, I have to disconnect the mains and reconnect it, just to see it do that again after I press ON...

--> Checked D-LED, gives code for "Early Chipset initialization" before it turns off...

-----> Removed one RAM module (same trick before) and tried to boot ...
    > It's behaviour changed: When I press On, the power LED doesn't come on, but the HDD LED comes on (but without the HDD spinning up) and all the fans spin up and then it stays like that.... It does however respond to force OFF "Press OFF for 10 seconds", but once it's off it won't turn on again (as before)....
    > Checked D-LED... Gives 4 Red lights (System power on) and points to the CPU as the culprit, so I tried to reset the BIOS (clear CMOS jumper) and same problem...
    > So I started checking the CPU, I removed it and connected it again to no avail...., started checking the ATX12V connector...
    > Got some interesting results, when I first removed the ATX12V connector and tried to boot, it did behaviour number one (starts and then immediately turns off), but I booted it again anyway and got behaviour number two (HDD LED and all fans spinning and nothing)... Hmm that's strange....
    > Reconnected the ATX12V connector and tried to boot, same results...

Conclusion: The mainboard behaves the same way, whether the CPU is installed or not!!! That means either the PSU is gone, mainboard is gone or the CPU got fried, although I can't imagine how that could have happened as all the Voltage readings were within normal limits and temperatures were within my normal (43-57) temps.......

---> I have currently disconnected the PSU and will take it to a service shop to have it checked out, also thinking of disconnecting mainboard and taking it to place of purchase and see if it needs to be repaired and/or replaced......(I have absolutely NO idea how it got damaged in the first place !)

-----> Although I will go offline now in like 30 minutes, I will check the forums again tomorrow before I take any action...

---> Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks...

9. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon Thread Starter

No ideas, anyone ??

10. ~Candy~

I wouldn't call 57 a normal temp, if that happens to be the cpu temp.....and if it's the motherboard temp, it's definitely way too hot.

11. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon Thread Starter

Hi,

Yes, the CPU reaches 57 degrees (C) when it is running at full 100% load....

--> Yesterday, I took the whole thing to the computer store I had bought the CPU, PSU, and mainboard from...

---> After half an hour waiting, the technician there told me that the PSU had gone bust and the CPU was defective, since he tried connecting another PSU and CPU onto my mainboard and it booted fine...

---> I was lucky to get the technician there to RMA the processor and he told me to get back to the store after a week to get the replacement processor installed, but unfortunately I have to go and search for a new PSU....

--> Thanks for all of your help. My component elimination process (when I was troubleshooting the system at home) indicated the PSU, mainboard and/or CPU... and I was suspecting the mainboard, yet it turns out to be the only component that could withstand the PSUs mainiacal current when it was running !!! MSI ROCKS !! Looks like they really make high quality components....

--> The technician there recommended me an AOpen PSU (which I think is good since there's a big premium in price over my old PSU and AOpen PSUs are the only branded PSUs I was able to find in Egypt, apart from Chieftec PSUs that are gravely overpriced here...)

--> Any suggestions...?

12. ~Candy~

Well, it sounds as if your options are pretty limited.

13. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon Thread Starter

Yeah, they really are...

Should I get that AOpen PSU ? Anyone tried one before ? Please share your experience of them...

14. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon Thread Starter

Well, I've just checked their site as well as other forums, they seem to make good-quality PSUs and come with a 1 year limited warranty...

Ok, I'll go for it and get the AOpen 350W PSU (or maybe the 400W one). Hopefully my next post in this thread should be from my (finally restored) home computer. Thank you for all of your help...

15. ~Candy~

I think the limited warranty is pretty standard. Most of the companies in the U.S. will guarantee your equipment from being blown while attached to their units. You have to let them have serial numbers of the equipment attached to it. Have never heard of anyone actually USING the warranty.....that could be good or that could be bad :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/282940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice