computer wont run 8GB of RAM (Moved from Windows 7)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cherryking95

my computer wont run 8GB of ram. it will run 4GB perfectly fine i have checked the bios and theres no updates for it i know its not the ram sticks bc ive tested all 4 sticks i have. its also not the mother board bc i tested sticks in both the front two ports and the back two ports. when i first got all 4 sticks of cruical ram in the computer it started ok but kept black screening alot then finally it quit working altogether unless it had 4gb in it. if i have all 8gb in the tower it wont start you can hear the fans and hard drive going but it wont boot anything. the specs and system show that my model can support 8gb but it wont i was wondering if anyone has any ideas or help.

my specs are as follows

Emachines ET1161-03

AMD Athlon 64 X2Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 gHz

600GB Sata hard Drive

EVGA 8400 GS 1024MB DDR3 Graphics Card

Rosewill RC400LX Network Card

someone mentioned a new power supply as the one thats in the tower now is only 250 Volts

Fireflycph

Morten
The 250w power supply should be able to handle the extra RAM. Have you moved the 4GB between slots to see if one of those may be broken?
You can try to clean them using a few Qtips dipped in rubbing alcohol and then dry/blow them out with compressed air.

cherryking95

yes i have tried the 4gb in all 4 ram ports the front 2 the back to even put a space in between ram ports it just wont run 8gb for anything ran memtest on all 4 ram sticks it found no errors with the ram

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The eMachines ET1161-03 does indeed support 8 GB(2 GB X 4) of RAM.
It uses 240-pin, 1.8 volt, CL=6, Unbuffered, Non-ECC, DDR2-800 modules.

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Considering how weak its processor and graphics device are, increasing the amount of RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB isn't going to improve speed and performance.
And if you intent for adding more RAM and upgrading its power supply is for gaming purposes, you're wasting your money and fighting a losing battle.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online