1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer wont run 8GB of RAM (Moved from Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cherryking95, Aug 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cherryking95

cherryking95 Thread Starter

my computer wont run 8GB of ram. it will run 4GB perfectly fine i have checked the bios and theres no updates for it i know its not the ram sticks bc ive tested all 4 sticks i have. its also not the mother board bc i tested sticks in both the front two ports and the back two ports. when i first got all 4 sticks of cruical ram in the computer it started ok but kept black screening alot then finally it quit working altogether unless it had 4gb in it. if i have all 8gb in the tower it wont start you can hear the fans and hard drive going but it wont boot anything. the specs and system show that my model can support 8gb but it wont i was wondering if anyone has any ideas or help.

my specs are as follows

Emachines ET1161-03

AMD Athlon 64 X2Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 gHz

600GB Sata hard Drive

EVGA 8400 GS 1024MB DDR3 Graphics Card

Rosewill RC400LX Network Card

someone mentioned a new power supply as the one thats in the tower now is only 250 Volts

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    The 250w power supply should be able to handle the extra RAM. Have you moved the 4GB between slots to see if one of those may be broken?
    You can try to clean them using a few Qtips dipped in rubbing alcohol and then dry/blow them out with compressed air.

3. cherryking95

cherryking95 Thread Starter

yes i have tried the 4gb in all 4 ram ports the front 2 the back to even put a space in between ram ports it just wont run 8gb for anything ran memtest on all 4 ram sticks it found no errors with the ram

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The eMachines ET1161-03 does indeed support 8 GB(2 GB X 4) of RAM.
    It uses 240-pin, 1.8 volt, CL=6, Unbuffered, Non-ECC, DDR2-800 modules.

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Considering how weak its processor and graphics device are, increasing the amount of RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB isn't going to improve speed and performance.
    And if you intent for adding more RAM and upgrading its power supply is for gaming purposes, you're wasting your money and fighting a losing battle.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice