1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer wont shut down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewie1012, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I am working on a system. Windows xp amd athlon 950 gigabyte motherboard. 512 mb ram. The computer has a nvidia video card and onboard sound. Nothing else installed. When you choose shutdown the computer goes almost to the end of the shut down and then just hangs. I push the button and it shuts down. When I start it back up the computer does not act like it was shut down improperly.
    Any ideas,
    Jerry

2. 4steve44

4steve44

Just an idea. while it is off pull the plug from the back and reinsert. Power on then power off to see if this fixes it :D

3. chewie1012

I will try this right now.
    thanks
    Jerry

4. chewie1012

It did not make a difference. The mouse port does not seem to work either. This motherboard went out for service and came back with them saying there was nothing wrong with it. I am thinking it needs to go back. It does work fine otherwise. I have usb mouse installed and it works fine. It will restart fine also. It just wont shut down completely. It seems like you can hear the hard drive shut down and the hd light goes out. It is then just stuck at that windows is shutting down screen.
    Jerry

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Will it shut down normally in safe mode?

6. chewie1012

I will try that thanks.
    Jerry

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Sounds like a program or driver failing to properly unload itself. I suggest doing a spyware and virus scan, then check in the device manager, click veiw, select "show hidden devices". If any device shows listed as "unknown device" or appears with a exclaimation point remove the device then reboot.

8. chewie1012

Candy,
    No luck in safemode. It still hangs at the last minute.
    Gotrootdude,
    No chance of spyware as I just installed the os on Saturday. I will check hidden devices though and report back here.
    Jerry

9. southernlady

southernlady

Did you also install SP2? Liz

10. ~Candy~

Does it per chance also have onboard video?

11. chewie1012

No onboard video and it is still service pack 1.

12. chewie1012

No hidden devices either. I have to go to my other job now. Thanks for all your advice.
    Jerry

13. ~Candy~

14. chewie1012

I placed an order for another board today. I am installing service pack two right now just to try and see if it does anything. I don't have any language packs installed. I am also not using the welcome screen. I hope the problem is the mobo and not the power supply. I guess this one goes back to gigabyte again. Hopefully the other computer with the phone management software will be fixable tomorrow.
    Thanks everyone,
    Jerry

15. fatcat6499

fatcat6499

Probably have the jumpers hooked up wrong check it and try again

On another note can u turn it on? If you were to unplug it and plug it back in can u turn it on

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice