1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't start after CPU and Memory change

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by helpseeker, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

There are few things as frustrating as when you try to make things better and end up making them worse.

I have 2 computers, call them Comp A and Comp P. They both have the same motherboard (ecs K7SEM) and run Win98SE. Comp A has a Duron 800MHz CPU and 512Mb RAM; Comp P has a 1200MHz Athlon and 1Gb RAM. Both were working fine. (Until I got involved.)

For various reasons, I decided to swap the CPUs and memory sticks. When I was done, Comp A started up and works fine. But Comp P now won't start. It powers on OK (the power supply and CPU fans run), but nothing else happens. No signal goes to the monitor, no lights on the keyboard, nothing. It just sits there with the fans running.

I checked all connections, even though I didn't disconnect anything during the swap process, and everything is tight. The memory is correct, because prior to upgrading Comp P to 1Gb, it was using those 512Mb (2x256) sticks.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Try taking the Cmos battery out or short it with the jumpers on the board for about 10mins.

The Cmos battery usually looks like a large watch battery on the motherboard.

3. helpseeker

Won't that erase all settings and mess up the BIOS?

4. bonk

bonk Banned

No , it will set the Bios to default settings

5. helpseeker

Tried that, but same problem. Any other suggestions?

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Try removing one stick of Ram...

Then try removing all the Ram and statup and you should here beeps....

7. helpseeker

Tried both. No beeps, just fan noise.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I see one big problem here. The duron is a 100mzh fsb. The 1200 came as both [I recall] when you installed the duron into the board with the 1200, it is probably running at the higher fsb hence no boot. Check your manual. There should be a jumper on the board to set fsb speed. You need to be sure both boards support both cpus.

One other thing. When you swap cpus, you should generally clear cmos. I hope you pulled the boards to do this swap since it is pretty easy to install a hsf backwards on the socket A cpus. If this does occur, the system will overheat and shutdown.

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Double check the CPU and check all connections like cables and make-sure they are fully connected as they could have got knocked

10. helpseeker

Everything checks out OK. See my reply to crjdriver's post, and many thanks for your help.

11. helpseeker

I checked all jumpers and they're identical on both boards.
    As you suggested, I checked the mainboard manual and found a paragraph telling me to short 2 CMOS jumper pins to "erase the system setup settings" as they may be incorrect and "preventing your system from operating". After doing that, I was able to get it up and running as it's supposed to be.

Thank you for your help.

By the way, what is "fsb" and "hsf"? (As you may have guessed, I'm new to this sort of stuff.)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice