1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't start after SATA install?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amed, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amed

amed Thread Starter

Hi, recently I had a hard drive start slowing down on me, so I bought a new one yesterday. Before I had a 160GB maxtor IDE drive, now I am tryint to install a 250 GB WD SATA hard drive (just 1). I plugged it into SATA0, as well as power from the 4 pin connector.

My problem is when I package everything together, plug everything in, and try to turn it on, I hear normal sounds and lights on my box, but no video is sent to my monitor. There is just a steady orange light next to the power switch on the monitor.

My questions:
    I have a CDRW and a DVD player in the system, do I need to have them the primary or secondary IDE channel?
    I do not believe it is a bad video card, because I have had no problems with it up until now. What else could be wrong with the system?

At first I thought it was that the motherboard was not receiving power, but I can see the standby power light on. Now I am thinking it is the SATA drive, and I don't have it installed correctly.

If push comes to shove, I can try to start it with a normal IDE HD just to be sure its the SATA drive. But what are your thoughts on fixing this? Should I reset the CMOS?

My current setup:
    Asus P4C800-E
    2.8 GHz P4
    1 GB SimpleTech 3200DDR (2x512)
    ATI Radeon 9800Pro
    Built in Ethernet
    1 250 GB SATA Hard drive (currently plugged into SATA0, should this be in SATA1?)
    52x CDRW
    16x DVD player (both drives on a single channel, currently in IDE2)
    Soundblaster Audigy sound card
    Envision flat panel monitor (can't remember exact model)
    I will be installing Windows XP when I get this working.
    I also bought a brand new 450 W power supply : ATX A+GPB P4-12V

What can you help me with?

2. Tranquility

Tranquility

You probably just did not install the S-ATA chipset drivers. Check out the ASUS website for updated chipset drivers.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Disconnect the new SATA drive and see if it boots. It doesn't matter how you connect the DVD and CD-RW, you can leave them as they were or connect one to each IDE channel. You computer daoesn't need any drives at all to turn on. I would chack that you didn't knock loose the video card or and RAM modules. You could also try clearing teh CMOS with teh jumper on the motherboard.

4. amed

amed Thread Starter

An update to your suggestions:

I tried starting up without a hard drive connected, same problem... nothing at all comes up on the screen. I reset the CMOS then tried starting up without, and another trial with, the SATA hard drive and I run into the same problem.

Tranquility, you are right. I have not installed any drivers, but I am not sure how I would. I am not able to see anything on the screen.

What I've tried:
    I've tried an older video card, and still nothing comes up (thank god... I am glad my ATI card isnt bad).
    I've tried another monitor, with no help.
    I've tried a regular IDE drive and the same thing happens. I want to try this again though, just to be sure.

When I turn on the system, everything sounds normal. All the lights and beeps on the box seem right. However no video signal is sent.

5. amed

amed Thread Starter

Still the same problem, even after the 2nd attempt to try an IDE hard drive on the primary channel. Possible culprits now appear to be either a bad AGP slot? or possibly a bad motherboard all together? I can try an ABIT IS7-G.

6. dai

dai

reseat your ram

7. amed

amed Thread Starter

I dusted and reseated ram to no avail.

8. dai

dai

when you say all the beeps are right you should only get the single post beep are you getting more beeps than this

9. amed

amed Thread Starter

Ok, I don't know how this worked but here goes. I walked away and left the computer on, 5 minutes later I return to check how many beeps there are, and it starts up and comes to the BIOS!! My problem now is it reads as 3rd IDE.

10. dai

dai

what is listed on the 3rd eide

11. amed

amed Thread Starter

My SATA drive. I just followed the instructions for installing the HD now. (Make SATA driver disk, format, reboot w/ WinXP disc, F6, install drivers, install windows).

12. dai

dai

let us know how you go

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice