1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't start, blank screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ramsfan71, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ramsfan71

ramsfan71 Thread Starter

The other day my daughter told me her computer turned on fine, then the screen flashed on/off and she had the monitor adjustment icons showing on the screen (but they could not be adjusted). On the CPU the power light was on but you could not turn it off by holding in the button. If you pulled the power cord for a few minutes and then plugged it back in the power light came on, it tested the DVD Drive, but it did not run through any start up, the CD did not run and no display other than described above was on the screen. Can not seem to get it to boot for the recovery CD. Any idea what might be wrong? It is an emachines 2800+ AMD Athlon XP Processor.

2. mcse72

mcse72

I would try discharging the monitor rather than the CPU by pulling the power cord to the monitor for a minute or two and reseting it. See if that helps. Also, do you see anything at all when you boot? Or does it just go blank after the OS begins to load?

3. ramsfan71

ramsfan71 Thread Starter

I moved the whole system to the basement so I could work on it. I hooked a differant monitor up to it and that shows a "no signal found". When you unplug the machine wait for more than 10 minutes and plug it back in it does not even seem like it starts to boot. The power light comes on around the start button, the DVD light comes on like it is checking it and then goes out. That is all that happens. The CD light never comes on and it does not seem like it powers up. No OS screen evers displays on the monitor. It almost seems like it does not shut down when the power is removed.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Check the monitor cord that connects to the video card for bent or broken pins. Also check the connector on the back of the video card for any broken pins stuck in the connector. Then get the old monitor and hook it up.

5. ramsfan71

ramsfan71 Thread Starter

Tonight I checked for any broken pins and nothing was found. I had plugged the original monitor into another computer (older and slower) and it works fine. Tonight I changed the hard drive with another older computer and still nothing. It does not seem to boot when power is supplied. Could the battery be dead or the mother board dead. I am confused. Any help thank you.

6. steven1350

steven1350

Does the computer actully start up, but the screen is left blank? if so, then perhaps your graphics card has died on you:eek:

if you can, try a new one, buy a new one, or buy a new computer

Also, check the wiring of the power box inside your computer box. Make sure nothing has come loose. If the motherboard has no power, that is your solution right there.

7. Rafis69

Rafis69

emachines motherboards are bad. Just last week my friends emachine motherboard and power supply died. I exchanged the power supply and motherboard with my computer and it confirmed me that both were dead. I also tried to get the emachines hard drive and install it in my pc. I had a problem booting up with the emachines hard drive in the log on screen since it asked me for a Windows Activation Key. I called emachines and they told me that i needed to buy a new OS or a emachines hardrive in order to get that key. You can set your emachines hard drive as a slave and get access to your emachines hard drive. You probably have the same problem. So i suggest to check your power supply and your motherboard!

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

eMachines motherboards are actually that bad and it might be the motherboard but I would try another video card first.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice