Computer won't start normally. Repair function fails too

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Geezer84

In my attempt to download the recommended "free system info utility," I get this: "tsginfo.exe is not a valid Win 32 application," so my provided information is limited.

My Dell Optiplex 990 series using Windows 7 worked fine until the city’s power went out for an hour. When power was restored, my computer wouldn't start normally, so I clicked the repair option to no avail. It said the computer could not be repaired. The “ePSA Pre-Boot System Assessment” checked okay for every section except the hard drive. The hard drive was the last to be checked and stayed at 95% for half an hour before I exited the test without completion of the hard drive check. Also, two hours earlier, I was watching something on the computer when it shut down instantly but started up again and worked until the city’s power went down. If this is a hard drive issue, is it likely I will have to buy another computer?

I’ll appreciate any help. In the meantime I’m using an old computer with XP that browsers no longer accommodate, so I’m limited as to what I can access and view.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia

Geezer84

I would suspect the hard drive is failing or has failed.
You can download this .iso https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/27180-windows-10-recovery-tools-bootable-rescue-disk.html create a DVD/CD & boot the problem PC with this & use the hard drive test tool/s to check the drive &/or run Macrium‘s boot repair feature to see if that will fix the boot problem, if not the you can use this program to image the drive ready for a new hard drive.
Thank you for your response. I believe you are correct that the hard drive has failed. I'll go to the link you provided. If that doesn't fix it, I'll just buy another refurbished computer. Thanks again.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Purchasing a new hard drive would be cheaper I’m sure, especially if the PC has good specs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online