1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer wont start, not even BIOS will start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hairybusdriver, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hairybusdriver

hairybusdriver Thread Starter

I posted this in the hardware section because i know its gotta be hardware related. On one of my older computers, which is a HP(bought in 2002), wont start at all. Not even the Compaq logo will display, which means BIOS wont start either. so i cant boot at all, or operate the computer in anyway. This happened right after i installed a gig of RAM, i was upgrading from 512 mb to 1 gig, they were 2 different cards, 512 each, and both had 189 pins. I installed them, booted up and nothing.

I really dint think there is a solution for this though, because after that, i put the 512 RAM back in and it still didnt work. Im thinking the motherboard was fried, by static electricity maybe. if thats the case than ill just get a new computer. which leads me to my next question.
    How do i access my Harddrive? I have a lot of valuable data on there and an expensive music collection, as well as a bounch of backed up movies.
    Any help is really appreciated guys, thanks in advance.

2. brite750

brite750

you can try a different PSU, you can try popping the battery out and putting back in to reset the bios, strongly doubt that you fried it from static, maybe didnt have the ram sticks in correctly, look for scorch marks at dimm slots

3. mowersman

mowersman

i would definatly try the power supply as the ones that come in brand computers tend to be cheap
    if it is your psu then there is a chance it may have taken out your mobo, ram, cpu, ive even seen a dvd drive gone because of a psu
    to acess your files slave your drive in another computer

4. srhoades

srhoades

HP's of that genre tend to use Bestec power supplies which I have found are only replaceable by bying a Bestec equivalent replacement on the internet. Something to do with the pin out I'm sure.

5. hairybusdriver

The power supply still works though. I still get power to my computer? Im not sure why you think i should replace the power supply.

6. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

Just because the power supply fires up, doesn't mean it is supplying enough voltage.

As for your data on the drives, if you decide to go the route of a new machine, it will involve use of a screwdriver to recover your data (take it out of the old, slave it in to the new)

7. michix

michix

Hi!!!

Make sure that you really took out the new RAM so the old one is in the same slot as it was before! If it doesnt work and you buy a new PC, be sure you have an IDE connector on the new mainboard! Mostly, new harddrives are connected via SATA now, but your old one will probably be IDE. Then you can just plug it in and copy your data!

8. michix

michix

9. hairybusdriver

Well, im pretty sure that it's not the PSU, i just swapped mine for one that i know works, and that gives out the same output of energy (220 volts), and it still wont work. It's not the RAM either, I also borrowed RAM from another machine that I know works, same thing. I checked the RAM slots for scorch marks too, to see if they were fried at all. nothing. The lights on the motherboard are lighting up and responding just fine too, as they usually do. Everything seems fine, I know that all the wires are connected properly, I checked them over and over. Do you think it might have something to do with the onboard graphics. Maybe, BIOS is booting but it just wont display on the monitor. I'm not sure, but thanks for the help anyways guys, it doesn't seem like there is much of a solution for this problem.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You probably damaged something while working inside the case. As a test, pull ALL of the ram out. Now attempt a pw ON. You should get a warning beep from the board [as long as a case speaker is connected]

If you do not get a waning beep with a known good pw supply, either your board or cpu has failed.

BTW I would think you have 184pin ram; there is no 189pin ram.

11. hairybusdriver

well, than that settles it. The board is fried. (the cpu was replaced after the computer stopped working, so i know its not the cpu) I got no beeps whatsoever. Thanks everybody for your help though.
    oh yeah and thanks for that correction crjdriver, i guess i got the numbers mixed up.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice