1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer won't start to Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by phays, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phays

phays Thread Starter

Yesterday I tried starting my computer after not using it for about a week. I have a laptop so I just flipped it open to a black screen. After nothing happened, I turned it off by holding down the power button and back on a minute later. The screen said Windows had not shut down properly how do I want to open it Safe Mode, Last Known Good Setting, or normally etc. I chose start Windows normally and It looked like it would start normally but went to a black screen. I turned off the computer the same way again but this time I chose Last Known Good Setting. Same thing happened, black screen. This last time I chose safe mode and the black screen is still the only thing I see but now says Safe Mode in the corners.

I am using my roommates computer to write in because I am DESPERATE, I can't get onto my computer at all!! Smeone please help!!!

Patty

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

See if you get a Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc). If you do, go to File > New Task, and start explorer.exe.

3. phays

phays Thread Starter

Thank you for repyling so quickly. That didn't do asnything. Am I completely screwed?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I assume you have no XP CD. Do you have recovery media of some type?

5. phays

phays Thread Starter

I'm sure I have a recovery cd. Will that erase everything on my computer?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some do and some don't. It depends. You will need to read your manual or start the process to find out.

Unfortunately with laptops, the usual tools don't work because they use non-standard partitions. If you had an XP CD and a standard installation, this would be easier to fix.

That is also a reason why a disk image should always be made of the laptop's hard drive so it can be restored when everything else fails without having to go back to factory settings and start from scratch. They really don't provide you with any good method to recover from problems.

If you have data that you need, you may want to remove the drive and connect it to a desktop to get your files. You will need an adapter or and external case that fits the drive.

7. phays

phays Thread Starter

If I don't have a recovery CD is it something I could buy? Is there one that would restore my computer without deleting my hard drive? Or if I decide to remove the drive to save the files, can it be re-installed after the files are taken off it? Thank you so much for your help.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It really depends on what the problem is. If the drive has problems you would not want to reinstall to it. So that would need to be tested. If memory is the problem, you would want to replace that.

But, barring any hardware problems, your recovery CD will allow you to re-install after you salvage your files.

If you are ambitious and have an XP machine and CD available, you could recover your files by booting with the UBCD4Win CD and burning your files to CD.

Your computer manufacturer usually has recovery CD's pretty cheap (a lot less than XP). I looked around and the CD's are apparently available from Toshiba dealers.

9. phays

phays Thread Starter

So I read over the UBCD4Win website. I have XP on my computer and plenty of blank CDs. I am ambitious enough to try it but (and this may be a stupid question) can I build the CD on another computer and use it on mine?

I also looked into someone backing up my hardware for me and its like $250 dollars! That's a complete rip-off right?

I really can't thank you enough for all your help. You are making this difficult event for me a lot easier to manage.

10. phays

phays Thread Starter

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

From what I can ascertain, Toshiba recovery CD's are quite unlike most others. They contain no Windows installation files like the others do and are basically an image of an already existing installation. As a drive image, the recovery CD needs to come from Toshiba and be for your specific model. Only that will have all the needed drivers. These do not seem to even be available online, but only from authorized Toshiba distributors.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!