1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer wont start up HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crangeltx, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crangeltx

crangeltx Thread Starter

i need some major advise. i was trying to install a cd rom and a cdrw drives into my computer. i was getting an error message at the boot, figued it was the 3 1/2 so i turned off the puter and unpluged it to see if that was the problem. well turns out the same error message come up, so i figured it wasnt the 3 1/2 drive error. so while the computer was still on, silly the power source touched the 3 1/2 drive. a popping sound occured and the computer no longer worked. i know i messed up something, but can anyone give me some idea of where to look or what i migt have done? is it fixable? did i lose all my files on the hard drive? please someone tell me something. thanks

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

In some of these cases, the computer will come back after sitting idle for some time; however, in your case, I think not. Do you get anything at all when the power is turned on?

3. RandyG

RandyG

Welcome to TSG!

It's possible that you did not cause any permanent damage.

try reseating all the cables going into your motherboard.

I did this once with an extra hard drive, and thought I had burnt out my power supply and motherboard and everything else. Turned out that the motherboard had a sort of built in surge protector, and to reset it, you disconnect everything from it, and reconnect.

If this does not work, then you might need a new power supply.

When this happened to me, I lost no info on my HDD.

4. crangeltx

crangeltx Thread Starter

thanks so much for the advise. i will try to reconnect everything on the mother board, if that doesnt work ill try a new power supply. ill reply back asap. thanks again!

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I just did the same thing a few weeks ago....my guess is you may as well reconnect everything EXCEPT the floppy drive.......especially if you can smell any burnt like smells inside.....

6. crangeltx

crangeltx Thread Starter

i didnt smell anything burnt but i still will try to reconnect everything thanks again

7. crangeltx

crangeltx Thread Starter

i tried disconnecting everything from the mother board. i think i took everything off. is there a certain order in which it should have been done? getting it fixed is going to cost way to much, and the computer is not even worth it. the computer is about 6 years old. maybe its just that i need a new power supply. Are those hard to install? i need computers for idiots!

8. ~Candy~

What exactly is the computer doing? Is the power supply coming on at all? Any sounds, beeps, noises, anything?

9. crangeltx

crangeltx Thread Starter

when i connect all the cables the computer doesnt even turn on. there are no sounds nothing. its dead. i tried to take everthing off the mother board and reconnet them but still nothing. the monitor turns on but then turns right back off. do computers have fuses?
    thanks

10. ~Candy~

So, the power supply isn't even coming on?????? There's no reason for the monitor to come on then go off....it's plugged directly into the wall or a power strip, correct?

11. crangeltx

crangeltx Thread Starter

yeah the monitor is pluged into a power strip, your right it has nothing to do with the cpu. whats going on. do you think i fried the power supply? not to sound silly but were can i buy a new power supply? like at best buy or something. that must be my problem right?

12. ~Candy~

If the power supply isn't even spinning, no sounds coming from it, then yes, you fried the power supply......I've done that a time or two :(

You should be able to buy a new one from a local computer store....I'm not sure if BestBuy carries them or not. I know PC Club carries them....it'll probably set you back around $25 to $30.

Just make sure you get one at least the same size as you have now, or bigger......you probably have at least a 250W......if you can get a larger one for just a wee bit more, I would recommend going that route.

13. crangeltx

crangeltx Thread Starter

should i take it out and bring it with me? so i know im asking way to many questions but, i remove it and then i just reconnet all the power supply back to all its parts right, or is there more to it?

14. ~Candy~

It can't hurt to take it with you.....you're going to have to take it out anyway to put the new one in.......draw yourself a little diagram of where the wires are hooked up now, especially the ones that go to the speaker, the power reset button, etc.....and if the connection to the motherboard has two white connectors, be VERY sure to mark which colors meet in the middle of the two connectors.....putting these on backwards will fry the motherboard......yep, did that once too :(

15. crangeltx

crangeltx Thread Starter

thanks so much for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice