1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't start up--(just stops)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sam182, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sam182

sam182 Thread Starter

I have an old toshiba tecra laptop (without a cd drive). when i turn on the power, it begins to start up, but stops after the memory initializes. it just sits there and the cursor blinks. how can i get it working again???

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG sam.

Could be a pretty difficult assignment especially if the problem is hardware such as memory.

Do you happen to know what Windows version is installed? And have you tried a safe mode startup? To try this for any Windows version, tap the f8 key repeatedly from the beginning of the boot process. You should get a startup menu with numbered options. Try safe mode. You can also try a step-by-step and see if you can isolate where it is hanging.

I would also see if I could access a command prompt. If you can, see if you can list the drive contents by using the command dir

Other commands to view drive directories:

cd windows
    cd windows\options\cabs

Look for a c:\windows\options\cabs directory with a setup.exe program in it. If you have one, you may be able to do a reinstall.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi sam182, welcome to TSG....

It sounds like it's hanging before you're going to have a chance to do what Rog suggested, at least I think.

What's the history of the computer? Has it ever worked?

Are you running it on battery power or AC? If battery, you might try disconnecting and running off AC.

4. sam182

sam182 Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice, but it didn't work. It's running Windows 95. I think you are right about it hanging up before I can do anything: f8 doesn't do anything, it just stops like before. The computer used to work fine, but then it stopped. I think it may have been something I did, although I am not sure what.

5. sam182

sam182 Thread Starter

i forgot to say that i have been trying to run it off of an AC adapter.

6. ~Candy~

What makes you think it's something you did....please tell us everything you know....no matter how irrelevant it may seem......

7. sam182

sam182 Thread Starter

i think messed around with the mouse drivers while trying to install a mouse (this was a long time ago) and it started to mess up after that...it was a downward spiral from there, because i think that it was not this bad to begin with, but got worse quickly.

8. sam182

sam182 Thread Starter

is there anything else i can do??

9. ~Candy~

Nothing I can think of unless you want to pop it open.....and laptops are a completely different animal to get open......

10. sam182

sam182 Thread Starter

i can try if you have any idea what i could do after opening it up. i don't mind opening it up since i can't use it anyway, so i don't really have anything to lose.

11. ~Candy~

Basically you'd be looking to re-insert the ram.....the cpu, check connections on the hard drive.

Another thought I had though, you don't have an external mouse, keyboard, PCMCIA card, modem, anything extra on the outside?

12. sam182

sam182 Thread Starter

well i had a pcmcia card, but i took it out and it doesnt change anything. and there is an internal modem. but i dont think that either of those are the problem.

if i opened up the computer, would i just be looking for weak connections?

13. sam182

sam182 Thread Starter

if i put in a windows 95 boot disk, i can get it to the a: prompt, but if i type "cd c:" it says "C:\" for just a second and then it switches back to "A:/" Does this mean that it cannot find my hard drive? Is there anything I can do about it??

14. sam182

sam182 Thread Starter

I got to the C:\ prompt using a boot disk, so i guess that it does recognize the hard drive. if i go to C:\windows and then type "win" it begins to start windows, but then it quickly flashes "Registry File not found. Registry services may be inoperative during this session. XMS cache problem, registry services may be inoperative during this session." Then that disappears and a blue screen comes up that says "VFAT Device Initialization Failed" "A device or resource required by VFAT is not present or is unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading.

System halted."

Then it just sits there and i have to turn it off.

15. ~Candy~

See here for VFAT errors:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q139063

and:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000366.htm

Here for the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q116250

And this is even more interesting, it seems that error would be created by booting with a 98 boot disk (you have 95 on the computer) and you attempt to type 'win.'

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q178947&ID=KB;EN-US;q178947

Do you have windows 95 on floppies?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice