1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't start up / Startup Repair

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by asperling, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asperling

asperling Thread Starter

Please help. I've been dealing with this virus problem for a whole week now and it just seems to have gotten worse.

First, about last Thursday, I started up my computer to see I couldn't even open Internet Explorer or any programs, and everything on my desktop was gone. I did some searching around on the web and from what I can remember all I did was delete some corrupted files, and although the computer was still working a little strangely, it was working again and all of the documents I thought I'd lost were able to be reached again.

To further protect myself I got McAfee Anti-Virus and ran a full scan. It deleted one virus but said another could not be deleted. The next day when I wanted McAfee to deal with it again, the program acted as if I never had it renewed. It was saying it expired a year ago and I needed to subscribe again. I looked this problem up online and the first suggestion I got was to restart the computer.

Which leads to my current problem. I restarted, and it simply won't start up again. The Windows logo loads forever and eventually just shuts down the computer again. I tried to go into safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, safe mode w/ command prompt, etc, and it gives a big error message.

I also tried a disc check, and it seemed to be making progress but got hung up on "usn journal completed". Absolutely nothing happened after that point for hours so I shut the computer off again and tried to restart again. The only thing it'll let me do is this "Startup Repair" thing, where it says it is attempting repairs but still, nothing happens. I am worried this is a virus, as some websites have suggested its malware, and others say it is just a part of Windows 7.

So I have no idea what to do at this point. If I can ever actually get the computer started up again I'm going to immediately save my files and then look into the McAfee problem again, but the problem is I'm just not sure it ever will start up again... the last thing I want to do is lose everything! I have very important files and documents on that computer. For the record I am typing this from another laptop. Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice