Computer won't start up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

peter.chatfield83

My pc was running fine for 2 years and all of a sudden the lights on the front and the lights on the DVD drive started flashing fairly quickly and all fans were working except the heat sink fan, which looked to be startingand stopping in time with the flashing lights. So with power off I removed the heat sink and fan to have a look and clean, came apart normally but I found there to be a silver powder residue between the heat sink and CPU. I put everything back together which went fine, hoping that would get it to start up, but no still the same flashing and heat sink fan just trying to start but it can't. Not sure if what idid was right but what should I do to get it going again?

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
First of all, no one has any idea what type of hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact cpu, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.

I found there to be a silver powder residue between the heat sink and CPU
This is thermal compound and must be replaced whenever you remove the hsf/cooler. ALL parts must be cleaned with 99% or 91% alcohol and new compound applied. The hsf is then reinstalled. If you did not install new compound as referenced above. STOP doing anything until you apply new compound.

i have a vaio series sve14118fxp and when i turn it on it starts even the fan works but there is not any kind of display with black screen and has a tick sound

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online