Computer won't start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Djas00

My computer which is a fairly old one. Windows 98SE, 128MB RAM, Pentium 2 300Mhz processor. Anyway the computer won't start. It is like power isn't coming to it. It worked fine a couple of weeks ago and didn't mess with it until the other day. That is when I noticed it wouldn't turn on. The power cords that are plugged into it are good. I just can't figure it out.

Midwest Micro
Windows 98SE
128MB RAM
Pentium 2 300Mhz Processor
10GB Maxtor Hard drive
7GB Maxtor Hard drive

Triple6

Rob
Do any of the fans or lights come on? The first thing I would try is a new powersupply. Since you probably don't want to buy one without be sure, I would suggest borrowing one to test.

If it won't power up, it could be your power supply. If yo believe that to be working, it could be something wrong with your motherboard.

sounds to me like your power supply is shot. That is the only thing (besides the cords, which you say are good) that would keep it from coming on. Does your monitor come on? If so then you can rule out the outlet and cords if not I would say your outlet is bad. Hope this helps.

Djas00

Well I thought it might be the power supply box. The thing is that I have alot of old computers out side but they are too old because they don't have the right power supply connection. I checked the fuse in the power supply to see if that was it and it wasn't. I might just use the power supply out of my two newer computers. If that doesn't work it might be the connection to the button. I have no idea but I'll try anything that it might be. I thank you for the help too. This gets real irritating.

the same thing happened to me the other day.... power supplies are the devil.... I just called my local computer store and found the same power supply, problem is they are closed on sunday's.... my linux computer sits dark! :(

Djas00

Well yeah it was the power supply. I took one of my other computers and took out the power supply. And what do ya know it worked. So now I have to search for a power supply for the computer. Well at least I know it is the power supply and nothing else.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online