1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Djas00, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

My computer which is a fairly old one. Windows 98SE, 128MB RAM, Pentium 2 300Mhz processor. Anyway the computer won't start. It is like power isn't coming to it. It worked fine a couple of weeks ago and didn't mess with it until the other day. That is when I noticed it wouldn't turn on. The power cords that are plugged into it are good. I just can't figure it out.

Midwest Micro
    Windows 98SE
    128MB RAM
    Pentium 2 300Mhz Processor
    10GB Maxtor Hard drive
    7GB Maxtor Hard drive

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do any of the fans or lights come on? The first thing I would try is a new powersupply. Since you probably don't want to buy one without be sure, I would suggest borrowing one to test.

3. Annorax

Annorax

If it won't power up, it could be your power supply. If yo believe that to be working, it could be something wrong with your motherboard.

4. newcs_jr

newcs_jr

sounds to me like your power supply is shot. That is the only thing (besides the cords, which you say are good) that would keep it from coming on. Does your monitor come on? If so then you can rule out the outlet and cords if not I would say your outlet is bad. Hope this helps.

5. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

Well I thought it might be the power supply box. The thing is that I have alot of old computers out side but they are too old because they don't have the right power supply connection. I checked the fuse in the power supply to see if that was it and it wasn't. I might just use the power supply out of my two newer computers. If that doesn't work it might be the connection to the button. I have no idea but I'll try anything that it might be. I thank you for the help too. This gets real irritating.

6. shane25

shane25

the same thing happened to me the other day.... power supplies are the devil.... I just called my local computer store and found the same power supply, problem is they are closed on sunday's.... my linux computer sits dark! :(

7. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

Well yeah it was the power supply. I took one of my other computers and took out the power supply. And what do ya know it worked. So now I have to search for a power supply for the computer. Well at least I know it is the power supply and nothing else.

8. Rox Shox

Rox Shox

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice