1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnblass, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnblass

johnblass Thread Starter

I have a computer that was not shutdown for over 8 motnhs. Now that I turned it off when I try to turn it on all I get is the little green power light & I hear some fans. Nothing else on the screen or any "computer thinking sounds". Any obvious parts I should check/fix before I bring it in to a computer tech?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Loose connections, and of course, make sure the power strip is turned on.... :D

3. Bruce319

Bruce319

If you heard a single peep in the computer, then you know it's not the CPU. Try checking to see if the connection on both the back of the computer and monitor are secure. Also as gotrootdue mentioned, make sure the monitor is pluged into a live outlet.
    To make sure it's not the monitor, unplug the monitor from the computer and turn it on. You should be able to see some detailed information on the screen. If you do, then you know it's not the monitor. Plug the monitor back in, and now turn on the computer and monitor. If you still don't see anything, it's likely your video card died on you. Go get a new one.

4. Bruce319

Bruce319

Before buying a new video card, I would check it into another computer. That goes as well with your RAM.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't be buying anything yet. Try part swapping with another computer. First thing I would try is monitor, next the powersupply - just don't try yours in another computer.

Any beeps?

6. johnblass

johnblass Thread Starter

thanks for all the help but i know it has nothing to do with my monitor, video card or power. No beeps, no computer thinking - just the sound of fans. Nothing seems to be starting up - software wise. If I have to start swapping componants out with another computer are there any useful help links I can check out so I don't blow up my computer. thanks to all

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!