computer wont stay on long

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stepper

My daughter's computer wont stay booted up long enough for me to run a virus scan. I did manage to get it into safe mode and started the virus scan that way but it still shuts down on its own. Any suggestions on what I can do to get it to stay on long enough to get a complete virus scan to finish? Thanks

blues_harp28

Hi..Try restoring the Registry..
f 8 at start up..choose Last Known good Configuration..

Stepper

Hi blues. When the computer trys to boot up it sometimes will go to a page that says something like..... Windows was not shut down properly yadda yadda. I have choosen the last know good config.... and yet after about a minute it shuts down. I was thinking it was a virus that is making it shut down like that.... but I could be wrong. I am about ready to zero out the HD and start over.......?

blues_harp28

Hi..Boot to the recovery console..
Type chkdsk /r
Or fixboot c:
Or bootcfg /rebuild

Stepper

ok It finished running the check then it restarted. I am now running the virus scan and has stayed on so far. I keep getting a box now that says The system has recovered from a serious error. send report to microsoft.... this is the error signature BCCode:1000000a BCP1 : E ( it just shut down again so I couldnt get the rest of the code)

blues_harp28

Hi.Could be a driver problem...restart in safe mode..check in device manager for any yellow exclamatiom marks..
If you do not run Virus scan..is your system stable?

Stepper

ok i will try the device manager once i can get back on. No, it dont matter what I do, it will just shut down. I did manage to get on long enough to download the patch for the WMF virus that is out and am restarting the pc now.

Stepper

no yellow ! in device manager :( lol are we ready for the zero out HD yet?????? lol

Stepper

i dont know if this will mean anything but when i do get the virus scan to scan a little it stops and shuts down while scanning ntoskrnl.exe i have no idea what that is

Stepper

oh thats not good. i dont have that CD with me. Would a system restore work if I can get the pc to stay on long enough?

blues_harp28

Hi..Hopefully if ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt..you can repair it..
You will need install Cd..
Read all info at computerhope site..
If system stays on for long..try system restore and try a clean boot..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
Let us know the result..

Stepper

Thanks blues. I have tried everything. I think I am just going to do a clean install. I tried the system restore 3 times and none worked. It will stay on a little longer now but still shuts down on it's own. Thanks for all the help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts