1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer wont stay on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ibobba, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibobba

ibobba Thread Starter

Ive had this 'new' pc since early September and around the last week and a half its occasionally turned itself off, now the last few days it got more and more regular with it now being itl turn on for about 20 seconds max (wont even reach the windows desktop). An error message does appear just after the mother board screen saying CPU is too hot "press f1 to resume". Ive opened the case and turned it on to make sure the fan is working which it is and it still wont stay on. Any idea's on whats going on? any help appreciated!

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

It sounds as though the CPU heatsink has worked loose and isn't making a good contact with the CPU. You could fix this your self if you don't mind messing with the insides of a PC or you could get someone to do it for you. If you feel that you have the skills to do it your self could you post back with the specifications of the PC with as much info as possible. Maybe a link to where you bought it from if you got it online?

Jack-O-Bytes

3. ibobba

ibobba Thread Starter

It was brought privately, if it matter the fan is a clip fan and 2 of the 4 clips are broke. Also after about it being on for 15 minutes yesterday i check the insides and the CPU and the CPU was untouchable, i picked it up and had to place it down straight away as it was burning my fingers.

I dont mind venturing into my pc :)

Sorry here are mtoher board specs: Asus P6T Deluxe (Its either P6T or P6XT)
    PSU is: i7 920
    800 watt PSU.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Do you know what make motherboard you have or what CPU that you have? If you do then I should be able to help you out with this :)

Jack-O-Bytes

5. ibobba

ibobba Thread Starter

Sorry here are mother board specs: Asus P6T Deluxe (Its either P6T or P6XT)
    PSU is: i7 920
    800 watt PSU.

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Does the heatsink cooler that is on it look like this?

7. ibobba

ibobba Thread Starter

that is exactly the one.

8. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

If 2 of the push pins are broken then you are going to need either a replacement just like the standard one or, You could go with a much better cooler setup such as this one from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

If you opt for the standard one then you will have to make sure that it has thermal paste either pre-applied or that you have a tube of good quality thermal paste such as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

If you choose the uprated CPU cooler that I posted it will come with pre-applied thermal paste. All you will need to do is make sure that your CPU is free from the old dry stuff that was most likely applied when the damaged cooler was first fitted.

Jack-O-Bytes

9. ibobba

ibobba Thread Starter

Is it standard that model comes pre-applied paste or is it an offer for newegg? If so ill buy it from ebuyer or currys as im outside of the USA

10. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Ahh well I am outside the USA as well I am from England as well. I just naturally presume that people on this blog are from USA lol. Here is the English version;

http://www.ebuyer.com/176157-arctic...o-rev-2-socket-775-1156-1155-1366-ac-frz-7pr2

If you look at the 6th bullet point down under the title "Product Description" you will see that it says "Pre-Applied Arctic MX-2" that is Arctic Coolings best thermal paste so it will do a good job. If you look at the 3rd photo where it shows the base you can see the thermal paste as a thin grey layer. I have used one of these coolers and they are very good. Also they should come with an installation manual as well so you know what your doing to install it :)

Jack-O-Bytes

11. ibobba

ibobba Thread Starter

Just ordered it, i never knew it could tell that a heatsink wasn't touching the CPU correctly. Appreciate your fast and efficient help.

12. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Yeah, Even if they are only slightly off it can cause a world of troubles. And no problem :) This forum has helped me a load so I just help people back. Just curious do you know the make and model of the 800w PSU that you have?

Jack-O-Bytes

13. ibobba

ibobba Thread Starter

Only thing visible when i open it is 'Atrix Power supply' 800w

14. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

The reason I was asking is because a lot of people are fooled by high rated power supply's. Atrix is not a great quality brand for PSU's however I have a 650w Atrix PSU and it isn't too bad. Once you get your cooler fixed into place, Feel free to personal message me and I will guide you through how to check the voltages of the PSU to make sure it is working reliably. Sometimes these cheaper PSU's can cause problems later in a PC's life.

Jack-O-Bytes

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice