1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't stay running :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by finallygreen, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. finallygreen

finallygreen Thread Starter

Beginning a few days ago, the computer would freeze for short intervals (20 seconds or so) while I was using it...and then go back to normal. Occasionally it would happen bad enough that the PC would crash and reboot itself. By yesterday this was happening much more frequently...and today, the PC will barely boot. It's VERY slow to boot...the 'freezes' are MUCH more frequent and longer...and in fact now I'm lucky if after a fresh boot I'm able to even open a program at all without the PC crashing first. I've even had it crash and reboot itself while still in the process of booting into windows (ie it hadn't even made it to the windows login screen before crashing).

I've already ruled out the system memory....I have 2 sticks of 512mb RAM installed, so I removed 1 stick and then took turns swapping to each one, yet the problem persisted. I once had a similar problem (PC would APPEAR to freeze, but not reboot) that turned out to be the graphics card, but this too seems unlikely as when I try to connect to the PC in question from another PC here on the home network, my Explorer from the other PC will literally just crash itself failing to connect to the troubled PC (and I doubt that would occur if it was a problem with the graphics card). I feel like I've ruled out everything expect what would be the worst case scenarios (dead/dying HD, mobo, processor) but I was hoping perhaps you guys had more ideas?

Thanks in advance...

2. dashdanw

dashdanw

im no pro but that sounds ALOT like overheating on your processor, next time you boot it check the temps, maybe something came loose in there.

3. twizzie

twizzie

Do these symptoms start after a prolonged use of programs, also, are all fans running at good speeds?

4. finallygreen

nope...as I mentioned above, the computer will barely even start now...so it's not to do with excessive program usage (that might have indicated a memory leak....I think?)

You've both indicated a concern for fans/temperature though....so I'm gonna see if I can get the PC up long enough to get a temp and fan reading from Everest (assuming I can figure out how to find that in Everest, lol)...

5. finallygreen

OK....so the PC's been off all day....and after running for about 5 minutes (as it takes that long to just boot into Windows right now!), these are the readings I get in Everest:

Mobo: 37C/99F
    CPU: 42C/108F
    Aux: 38C/100F

CPU Fan: 3278rpm

Now I'm pretty clueless about things like temperatures, but after comparing these readings to the readings from the PC I'm on right now (which has been running consistantly for probably a week), the only reading there that seems at all excessive to me is the CPU Fan reading....that reading on THIS PC is only around 1200rpm.

So...does any of this help us determine what's going on?

6. replay

replay

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

How about hard drive temperatures?

8. finallygreen

hmm...I'm not sure where to find that information. I did one of those SMART checks on both of the computer's hard drives in Everest, and they both check out fine...but I don't see anything that will show me the drives' temperatures. Any ideas??

Replay, I just downloaded that hijackthis tool, so I'll give that a go and see what that tells me, too.

Thanks for all the assistance thus far. I'll be back here shortly with the results from this tool....

9. replay

replay

well u need to post it in the security forum (on this site) don't delete or mess with the hjt log ........only the pro's in security can advise u

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

11. finallygreen

OK....I managed to make a hijack log, so I'll post that over in the appropriate section of the forum, thanks.

Rich-M...where in Speedfan will it give me my HD temps? I'm not seeing them anywhere...

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

"HD" 0 or 1

13. finallygreen

OK....so I woke up this morning and found a change in what both Everest and Speedfan were telling me last night. Both were previously reporting that my hard drives were in good health. Now, BOTH applications are reporting that my 'Raw Read Error Rate' for my C drive (ie the system drive) has a value of 1, with a threshold of 51. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but Everest says that an 'Imminent loss of data is predicted'. Could this be what was causing the freezes and crashes? Yesterday it was so bad for most of the day that I could barely boot the PC, but towards the end of the day, it started to run OK...well enough that I was able to get into the PC and load up Everest and Speedfan...both of which reported no errors or problems with either hard drive. Now this morning I get up, and apparently the PC managed to not crash through the night, but I have this error report from both apps. So is this the likely culprit to the problem??

BTW, Rich....turns out neither of these HD's report their temperature, which is why I couldn't find it in Speedfan...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!